XXXIX. cover-up

"Don't you look cute?" Colette commented, looking at Virginie checking herself out in the mirror.

It was her first day back at the firm and she was nervous. She hadn't spoken to Alex since that awful night back at the villa. He had attempted to talk to her multiple times. He dropped by her room, texted and called her, but Virginie ignored all of his advances. Robert made sure to keep her away from him at the airport but she didn't complain. If he saw the full extent of her injuries, he would not be able to control himself.

She knew that Stephanie was elated by her absence and that irked her but she couldn't do anything about it. She hoped that Alex wasn't mad at her. This was for his own good.

Virginie didn't reply as she ran her fingers over her poreless skin. She wasn't used to seeing it without bruises yet. They had only fully faded recently. Her ribs still hurt occasionally but overall, she was feeling fine.

Colette came up behind her and ran her hands through her curly hair. Virginie was wearing a wig today since she didn't feel like curling her actual hair. It was lighter than she was used to; a soft honey brown that made her eyes pop and her skin glow.

"Why do you seem so glum?" Colette asked, resting her head on her friend's shoulder to admire Virginie's reflection in the mirror. "You're going back to work today! You love going to work. You're finally going to be reunited with Alex."

"That's what I'm worried about," Virginie admitted, biting her lip.

Colette removed her head from its place on her shoulder. "You? Worried? What on earth for?"

Virginie stared at herself in the mirror. A complex yet strong woman stared back at her. She did what she had to do that night. She hoped that he would understand.

She wished that could've told him the truth. The look in his eyes when she told him off was one that she never wanted to see again. No matter what she would have to do, she never wanted to hurt him like that again.

"You're starting to scare me," Colette cried, coaxing Virginie out of her thoughts. "What happened?"

Virginie sighed and turned to face her beloved companion. "I kind of told him off the last time I saw him." The words tumbled out of her mouth before she realized that she would have to explain why and she hadn't yet told Colette that Robert had a mean streak.

When she came back from Jamaica, covered in black and blue, Colette automatically assumed the worst but Virginie managed to convince her that her wounds were from a boating accident. She had to go to one of the Agency's satellite offices to get some special medication that the scientists created to increase the production of cells so her skin could heal faster. She was lucky Colette believed her this time but she wasn't sure she would be so lucky in the future.

"Why would you do that? I thought you liked him."

Virginie narrowed her eyes at Colette. "Not like that!"

Colette raised a curious eyebrow. "I never said it was like that." She smirked, her fingers returning to play with the shiny curls. "You know I would never allow anyone to steal you away from me. You're mine."

Virginie laughed at the seductive look that Colette was giving her. "Stop it, you're so silly."

Colette struggled to keep her face serious. "I'm being honest, you know you're my girl and no one else's. No matter how hot your clients are."

"Stop messing around!" Virginie giggled, pushing her playfully.

"There's that angelic smile. I'm sure once he sees your face, he'll forget all about your little transgression." She pulled Virginie away from the mirror and into the living room for them to talk. "Now please tell me what's on your mind."