Chapter 7 {Takasugi Shinsuke}

I enter the operation room. The crew sit on the many chairs scattered throughout the room, operating the ship's system. Some turn to me as I approach, offering a slight bow of the head. I search for a particular man.

Takechi stands behind a man in charge of steering the vessel, instructing him on something. The others listen and follow suit.

I break the silence. "Takechi." He turns around and comes to where I'm standing. "I need you to gather all possible information about that woman," I tell him.

     "I have been researching about her too, actually," he says, staring off to the door.

     "And then?"

He shook his head. "I will see if I can some get useful information," he says. "And I will bring it to you."

I glance around the room once more before exiting. I head to my room, thinking of what the girl had said. Perhaps I will decide what to deal with her depending on what Takechi manages to find.

Hiding things won't do her good for long.

___________________

Sometime after I return to my room, Takechi is outside waiting to enter. When he does Matako trails in behind him, looking uncertain.

     "Here is what I managed to gather." Takechi hands me a piece of paper on which contains a square photo of the girl and some data printed below. I put it aside for later.

Matako seats herself in front of me. "Shinsuke-sama, what do we do from now on?"

     "We have acquired everything we needed for the ship's operation and we have gathered enough men," Takechi says, standing. "I think we can start our next move."

     "We will head to Kyoto and plan an attack there." The government's main focus now is Edo. By attacking the most unguarded place, it will cause an uproar grand enough to send some of the prominent officials on their way there.

Takechi says after considering, "I see. So we scatter their forces first."

     "After having their attention divided, we will destroy their center control in Edo."

After a pause, Matako adds, "But if we're to travel all the way there, wouldn't it be too risky? I'm sure the Karasu are still hunting for us."

     "Indeed," I agree. "Which is why we will meet up with Kamui in Nagoya. His men will work along us. In the meantime, this ship will have to find somewhere to hide before we get back."

     "You can leave that to me," says Takechi. "Oh and," he withdraws something from his pocket and hands it to me, "this was found in the old attires of the girl."

I take it before inspecting the item. It's a small thin book printed in a fainted color. I look to them, Matako frowning at the object. "That's all."

Soon after hearing the door silently shutting, I retrieve the file and begin to scan over the information. It gives out her name, identity and what she does up to the current date. There isn't a single word that hints any suspicious connection she has with any association, nor any particular activity that she used to partake in.

"What if I say, I came here to see what sort of person the ship's commander is?"

I hold the book up and stare at it. Sunlight streams from the window and onto a spot at the back cover that I haven't realized has something written on there.

Books to read, it says.