Chapter 22 [The Moon That Set]

It's in the depth of eventide when the night-creatures prowl and take over the day. Their reign mingles with the crashing of tides and ricochets into a disoriented harmony when nippy gusts blow by. The forest sways in disarray.

Deep into the hour after the last conversation disperses and silence is the night, a man stands on the forecastle of a ship docked many a day ago. The chill brushes across his face as he gazes out to the seemingly endless body of water. White smoke unfurls from a pipe in his hand.

Ever since his arrival to that remote land, he had spent more of his time on the forecastle than in his room retiring. The change of environment might have been pleasing for him, or the peacefulness is in his favor. Or perhaps he simply has some trouble staying asleep. No one knows for sure.

But tonight he wants more than a pleasant view and winds skirting past. Weeks of quiescence has left him eager for some action. The previous fights from The Crows' ambushes didn't as much serve as a fitting warm-up. Waltzing around with small fries aren't enough to appease his thirst. A beast howls beneath his placid facade. Which is why he's decided that their dormancy is at end. A new mission will be carried out. And unlike last time, things will go in accordance with his plans.

The man exhales a puff of smoke. The eye that overlooks the shoreline is lowered in leisure yet as void of warmth as the starless sky. It's a look of a man who would step over anybody's corpse to get to the end of his road of destruction. The death of his men would not upset him. Yet during occasional moments, between one breath and the next, he finds himself recalling a certain presence that, once, was steadily becoming something he's growing accustomed to.

He's not a man who ponders about such matters, of course. Rather, he feels it, the stillness emanating from the ship like a sensation he's never sensed before. Her voice reflects in his mind, the gentleness reminding him of her icicle touch.

Tonight's moon is beautiful. It would be lovely if I can see it with you again someday.

He brings his gaze up to the firmament. The clouds clear away, gradually revealing the glowing eye. Its golden luminance casts onto his face. As he stares at it he realizes that this moon will constantly reappear until the end of time.

But the other moon will remain forever set.

~~~~~~~~~~

-To be continued