Chapter 16 {Kijima Matako}

I decide to scout the forest again today. Though there's lesser chance that they'll show up again, it's something to keep me busy while Bansai-senpai goes to discuss what we do next with Shinsuke-sama.

The sun is tilting midway to the west when I move out. I take a different approach to the woods, not wanting to come across the Naraku's corpses. Light filters through the canopies and illuminates the forest ground. Dead leaves and twigs snap under my feet as I prowl deeper, a finger at the trigger of my gun. There are only the sounds of birds chirping overhead and the crushing of my steps. The forest runs deep. Some parts of it grow in tall shrubs which I warily pass by.

There's no track of whatsoever as I look around. When it gets dark I might be unable to find the right away back. Moreover the place offers pretty much nothing useful. I head to a nearest tree and break off the lowest branch to make some kind of track on the ground for me to follow.

After covering some distance of walking, the forest begins to thin out and eventually ends. Ahead is what seems like a village. Some shabby houses stretch to either sides, the back to me. The fences that barricaded the community from the rest of the wilderness are some planks of fail-looking woods nailed to each other. I suppose some wild animals aren't much of their concern.

I tread to a where there's a gap between the houses, and vault over the short gate into the territory. Voices sound from the homes as I pad to the clearing in front. The village is actually big. Many buildings were built to the sides, offering a spacious pathway that leads to wherever ahead. Some of the ordinary villagers cast my guns frightened glances as I pass by.

Not long I come across a decent structure with a sign pinned to the top of the entrance. Apothecary, it says. I move on a few steps, but then a thought comes to my mind. I consider it a bit. Doing things without Shinsuke-sama's permission is one thing, but this isn't some major thing at all. I shouldn't be troubling him over every trivial matter. I will settle it by myself.

I retrace my steps back to the apothecary and enter.