Chapter 17 {Y/N}

Mom and dad, I've never gotten the chance or gut to tell you this, but now the time has called for the truth. There's always been a person in the back of my head whose name whenever mentioned would have me fidgeting non-stop. Now I'm actually in his ship, within an arm's reach from him. Mom and dad, you should be proud to have a daughter like me, chasing after her dream to the edge of the world.

I rehearse the message in my head, only half joking when thinking of writing it down for my parents.

If they'd ever receive it I still can't quite grasp what their faces would be like, though I might be able to tell what they might be thinking. The fact that their only daughter is not only on a criminal's ship but is also in love with him.

Not only my parents, people would start to name me insane.

A smile curls at the corners of my lips, somehow finding it amusing. I stare at the blank paper in front of me, a brush ready in my hand. The writing equipment has been brought over to me upon my request by a one guy who was happening to be passing my room in the morning. He agreed to help me get them when I convinced him that his commander permitted it.

I rid my thoughts of the silly message. While I'm here ravishing my daydream my parents are truly being torn by worries. I've lost count of the days since I set off from Edo. The last time I saw them was the morning of my holiday when they were fighting over something trivial. I had ran out from the house from sheer stress. So my intention now is to assure them of my well-being.

After thinking for a short moment, I dip the brush in the ink pot and begin to write:

Dear mom and dad,

I'm sorry I left home without noticing you. But please, don't worry about me. I'm not in some kind of trouble. It's just that my boss suddenly called me for my job promotion and suggested that I work in his other business branch. To do that, he must first take me to meet his top client, who was present only at that certain moment in Kabuki District. Then somehow I was told to travel with him to where the other branch was in Kyoto at a moment's notice.

So after knowing this, I hope you would be at ease. I will return home once everything is settled.

Your Daughter,

Y/N

I set the brush down and consider the letter. It's a strange thing to have to lie for a measure of assurance. I wonder if I'm ever going to be punished for this.

Once the ink has dried I neatly fold the paper in half before tucking it in the envelope which I've already written the address on. Then I gather the equipment and head out of the room.

____________________

This is the first time I've been into the command room. The place looks huge yet cramped at the same time. In the middle of the room hangs a huge digital screen that shows the map of the Honshu island. A red dot points at a prefecture not too far from Edo. Yamanashi prefecture, I suspect, is where we are currently at now. About a dozen of computers line the wall on either side, being operated by the several crews seated in front of each. Their eyes do not leave the monitor even after I enter.

I move a little further in. A short set of stairs extends down the platform where everyone else is working. My gaze lies on the man I'm seeking down in front. Takechi stands behind three men sitting just below the screen, supervising them something. He turns to me when I call. The others shoot me some distrustful looks.

     "If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for you help," I say when he halts near me.

     "What is it?" he asks.