Chap 6

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

The first thing I noticed when I awoke was everything cloaked in white. As my vision cleared up, I noticed a bright green and yellow vase with wilting flowers placed in it. There was a digital clock on the wall. It took me several minutes to see what it said: 3:00 P.M 5-25-2016

What? Why is the time and date so off? This is a prank. Right?wait.... Where am I? Does that mean I don't have school tomorrow?wait.. Wildfire! Crystal! My family! The accident...that means.... I must be.. I'm.. I'm in.... Im in.. I'm in a hospital... I sat up quickly and attempted to move my leg, but instantly regretted it. Like electricity, pain shot from my foot, raked up my spine, and spread through my body. I screamed in agony and withing seconds, three nurses burst through the door, crowding around the hospital bed. The worry in their eyes much reminded me of Crystal, and I had to look away. "What's wrong?" An older nurse asked. She wore a warm expression that made her chocolate eyes almost glow. "I-I.. I'm okay.w-w-what happened.? Wh-where- where is My m-mom? And and Crystal? And-" the nurse gently put her hand on my arm. "Shh... Don't worry. Your family is safe. You have been out for nearly a week and your leg is broken.You need more rest so you can recover."

--------

I spent 3 more weeks in the hospital, and one more week in the cast, using crutches to get everywhere. I found out that Crys's mom had passed away during the crash, it was too late for her when they found us. crystal is still in the hospital, and my mom was released 2 weeks before me, leaving the wreck nearly unscathed. Tango and Wildfire are fine. Tango is Shaken up and really misses Crystal, and Widfire is upset I don't visit her often anymore. Both horses are terrified of trailers now. The doctors don't know if Crystal ever will make it. She woke up a week ago, but something is still wrong and they don't know what it is. Most of the doctors are sure she'll be okay. I hope they're right. I just can't stop thinking of her mom though.. Mrs.Beth shouldn't have died. Its all my fault. I shouldn't have told Crystral to come along. If that stupid truck didn't crash, We'd-or at least I- would already have won the Barrel Racing competition.

I decided to go check on Tango and Wildfire, who, all though had been given the all clear, were confined to stalls just to be careful.

I took my time walking to the barn, taking in the beautiful scene. Several birds sang their hearts out in the tops of the trees. A warm breeze brushed past me. A few fluffy white clouds laced the sky, and the sun seemed to smile, shining extra bright as if to say that everything was going to be okay. I smiled too, trying to push all the bad thoughts away as I walked into the barn.

Wildfire and Tango nickered as I walked up to their stalls. They nosed around my hands and pockets looking back up at me when they found nothing. "Sorry guys." I told them, patting their necks, " no treats right now. I'll bring some next time. "Wildfire turned to the halter and lead rope next to her stall and nosed at it until it fell next to my feet. " okay, I guess we Could go for a ride. Sorry Tango.. You cant come this time. How about later we'll practice some trick riding?" I gave Tango a kiss on the nose and picked up Wildfire's halter. I opened her stall door, Slipped the halter and lead rope on, and tied her to the cross ties right outside of the barn. I gathered My tack, This time being a The dye saddlepad with my brown western saddle and a brown Hackamore bridle, because I couldn't find either of my two western bridles. I quickly tacked Wildfire iup, and we hit the trail.

It was relaxing after the accident, but It wasn't the same as riding with Crystal. I decided to wait to go to our Tree house until Crystal was released from the hospital, and instead turned back. I untacked Wildfire and Lunged her before putting her back in her stall. I decided to lunge Tango for Crystal too, since he really needed to stretch his legs. I was in the middle of lunging him when My mother ran up to me, eyes red and puffy, and tearstains running down her cheeks. "Ho Tango. Easy boy." Tango slowed and stopped, and I led him over to where my mom was standing. "Its Crystal." She barely managed to say. Those two words Told me everything. I tacked up Trango hurriedly and Raced to the hospital.