Chap 8

The Funeral was two weeks after Crystal's death. I always thought we would grow up together. That one day we would have families and our kids could be great friends like we were. I guess God just didn't plan it that way.

I wore a long turquoise blue skirt with a leather belt with designs like one would find on a western saddle, and my riding pants under it. I wore a shirt the same color as my skirt and my Riding boots. Crystal had an outfit similar to mine, only it was purple. Crystal would've wanted me to wear it. We both wore our outfits to a wedding a few months ago, and Crystal made me promise to wear it with her one more time. she loved it, and even though I didn't, I wore it for her.

The funeral was at a small family Graveyard in a clearing in the woods behind Crystal's house. There were only 4 graves, but enough space to put at least 3 more in the fenced area, not including the already dug hole. There were only a few people there. Me, my brother, my parents, Crystal's dad, Crystal's cousins, uncle and aunt, her grandparents, and a few of her other friends. Everyone looked as if they hadn't slept for a week, and tear stains were evident on their paled faces. I looked the happiest there, trying too hider the real pain going on inside. Crystal's dad looked the worst. I can't blame him. He lost his Wife and his daughter from the same accident, and now it's just him.

"Hey.." I cracked a fake smile. He smiled back weakly. "Morning..." His voice shattered at the end. We hugged, and it lasted several moments. We talked a little bit, but eventually I walked away. I looked at the coffin from a distance. I didn't want to see her body, but I needed to say goodbye, so I stepped up to it. She was dressed in our matching outfit with her best riding boots, and her dark brown hair neatly pulled into a braid. A bright red, shiny ribbon tied into a bow kept her braid together. Something she would've loved, except for the ribbon. "Hey Chrys..." I paused "it's all my fault. You would still be here if it weren't for that competition I wanted to go to. I'm never going to ride agian. I promise. It's all my fault. And don't you be haunting me as a ghost." I chuckled a little as tears trickled down my face. We had always made that joke.. I never thought It would really happen. I never thought she would really die so soon.

----

"Hey Emily, what would happen if one of us died but the other was still alive?" Crystal asked, cocking her head.

"Well, if I die first, I'll be in heaven and be a ghost and Haunt you for the rest of your life Chrys!"

"No! With my luck, I'll Fall off a cliff and die before I'm 15! Then I'll be the one haunting you Em!"

-----

I stepped away from the coffin, wiping my tears on the sleeve of my shirt"Goodbye Crystal."