Chap10

I have successfully avoided all contact with horses for 3 months, and now I'm being sent to a ranch where I'll have to interact with them. Maybe I do want to see Tango and Wildfire, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ride. That doesn't mean I want to go to Virginia.

Then why am I currently on a plane flying to Virginia? Why am I on my way to Red Oak ranch, a ranch for troubled teens?

-------

The plane touched down around 2:00 p.m, although I didn't makes it to the baggage pick up until nearly 3. Once there, I waited for the Ranch's owner, Mrs.Anita. I looked around, but I had no idea what Mrs.Anita looked like, so I eventually gave up. "Excuse me, are you Emily?" I turned around to see a tall, dark haired woman, probably in her 60's.

"Yes ma'm. You must be Mrs.Anita?"

She shook her head and replied, "No, Anita is my sister. sister. We run the ranch together. Call me Ms.Janet."

"Okay. Hello Ms.Janet." I shook her hand and gave a fake smile, but I could tell Ms.Janet could see right through me. She smiled back, and said, "why don't we get going? Would you like me to get you anything on the way there? You must be hungry after your flight. Allow me to take your bags for you. " I shook my head at the food, but gave her my suit case. She led me through the crowded airport, into the even more crowded parking lot, and to a large truck. It was beautiful Green 4X4, a lot nicer than our ol' cherry truck. "Don't worry., the ranch isn't a terribly long drive away from here. buckle up! " she told me as I jumped into the massive vehicle. She tossed my suitcase into the truck bed, and soon we were on our way to Red Oak Ranch.

------

As we entered the driveway to My new home for the Summer, I was greeted by the familiarity of the countryside and horses. I noticed 8 more horses spread out in the paddocks, most of them looked like quarter horses, but there appeared to be an Arabian and A draft breed mixed in there. I didn't see Tango or Wildfire, but I figured they were in a paddock closer to the barn, or even in the barn, if The ranch had one. Slowly, a large house came into view, a red barn a little ways away from it. In the 2 front paddocks, there were 5 more horses, but Wildfire and Tango weren't part of them, as I expected.

"We're here." Ms Janet got out of the truck, grabbed my suitcase, then opened my door so I could get out. "Hi! " a girl I hadn't noticed when I'd gotten out, stoiod next to Ms. Janet. She had light Red hair pulled back into a low pony tail and Wore a dark Blue T-shirt with a Shark on it, and a pair of Jeans with black boots. "I'm Joyce! But call me Joy!" She held out her hand for me to shake it, and I hesitantly held out my hand to shake hers. Why is she so cheerful? Is she trying to fake it, like me? Even I can't make my happiness sound so genuine.

"Hello Joy! Would you like to show Emily around?" Ms.Janet asked.

"Sure!I'd love to! Do you what me to take her to Anita first? She's with the New horses."

Ms. Janet nodded, and Joy grabbed my hand. "let's go Emily! I wonder who you'll be on! If you're nervous about riding, its no biggie! Its not as scary as you think! I ride Firefly! She's a stubborn ol' Quarter horse, but She's great you'll see her tonight!" Joy dragged me over to a round pen, where there was another woman, similar looking to Ms.Janet, except her hair was more faded and Mrs.Anita was much shorter. Mrs Anita was watching Two horses, a black Thouroughbred and a Buckskin Quarterhorse, pacing around the arena. "Hey Mrs.Anita! Emily is here! Which room is she in?" Joy called, waving wildkyt.

Mrs.Anita looked at us and Smiled." Welcome Emily! You will be in Room 4! Joy can show you where it is! When youy have all your things settled, Joy can show you aground the ranch. Dinner Is at 6:00 sharp. after dinner everyone will be going on a trail ride.."