Matt, I Promise

Mattie's POV

We stood outside in the cold. Of course, Charlie's mother was here. Why wouldn't she be? My father was departing to go play in the Minors for hockey. I wasn't excited because he'd be gone and I wouldn't have to see him, but I was excited because he was now back into hockey. And knowing, maybe I'll find my way into realising that my dad had never left, and that he's here, just his personality may of changed very little.

We stood in a line in front of the big Greyhound bus, it was a little chilly, but most of us were able to handle the cold. It was a week after we had wont he pee-wee championships 1992. I stood next to Britt, as we waited for Coach Bombay to make his way down the line after each of us had something to say to him.

His Ducks bag was on his shoulder and shook hands with Duncan, and then Mark. "Don't take any bad dives, okay?" He nods and continues.

"Just remember, keep your head up, man," Jesse advised, doing some sort of handshake.

"Cake-Eater," Adam smiled and hit his hand at our Dad smiled.

"Remember, strength, not concentration," Fulton said after Goldberg gives a nod of approval.

"And for god's sakes, soft hands," Averman half whispered, most of us laughed.

He walked up to Charlie and his mother. "Have fun, Coach," Conway said and gave a him a hug. I totally felt jealous and knew that it was just a friendly thank you hug. It's not like it meant much.

"I must be crazy to try out with the minors. I'm gonna be going up against kids half my age," He said shaking his head. 

"Just have a good try out, Gordon. One step at a time," Our dad nods and takes a step forward planting a kiss on Charlie's mother's cheek. I glared at my dad, and then crossed my arms, looking at Charlie who was bewildered yet surprised, and then smiled at them. The two hugged and my dad pulled back after a minute. Everyone looked down the line as my dad took a step in front of us.

He chuckles and there was a smile on his face. He crouched down to our level, we were about a foot and a half from being as tall as he is, but he crouched down anyways. "I want you both to know that I will love you both no matter where I am. And Matt, I promise that when I get back, I will be the father you want... I want you to look after your mother, and stay safe,"

Britt smiled and ran up to him, hugging him as she had set her head on his shoulder. A tear fell down her cheek. He looks at me, waiting for me to do the same. Britt turns, looking at me now, and the entire team had fell silent. Most knew that I hated him, and some didn't know why, and most now knew why. "Matt, I promise,"

"You always used to say that," I explained, wiping my face from the tears. He brought his arm out, and pulled me towards him. I didn't forgive him, but man did it feel great to be in his arms again. "don't worry, I'll look after the others for ya," He hugged me tightly, and it felt like he didn't want to let go. He did and I stood up next to Britt. She took my hand and we watched our dad head on to the bus.

Everyone waved goodbye and hollered. They were all in a bunch, Adam and I exchanged looks and smiled at one another as one of the boys about pulled him to the ground. As the bus was about to leave, he stepped back out. "Hey Ducks! No matter what happens, we'll see ya next season! We got a title to defend!" And with that, he got back on the bus and we all cheered, jumping up and down. I hugged Britt tightly and we watched the bus pull away and leave.

Everyone trailed behind the bus until the sidewalk finished, we all waved. Once the bus was no longer in sight, Britt and I turned the corner. Our mother was at home and had let us come here, so long as we came home for supper, which is in about three hours. "Look what happens when we try new things, Matt," Britt said.

I walked alongside her and nodded. "Yeah,"

"What's got you so down?"

Nothing really had me down. I kinda pondered until we turned the corner. "Nothing, I'm excited for what's gonna happen in the future for us,"

"Me too, what do you think will happen?"

"I don't know, I just know that hockey will still be there," 

She agreed. She had pushed me and told me that I was it for tag. I about ran into the side of the brick wall of some store. I hollered her name and chased after her. Hearing a chuckle or two from behind us, but I continued anyways. I followed her up and down streets until I couldn't see her anymore.

"Looking for someone?" I heard.

I spun around and my hair had whipped around and I about ate it. I flipped it behind my shoulder and nod at the person. "I am, have you seen her by any chance?"

They look around. "Nope, mind telling me what she looks like?"

I chuckle and take their hand. "Come on Banksy, we're gonna find her," I said as he trailed next to me. We rounded a corner and searched for my sister. 

We looked for a good while until she had spooked up from behind. I managed to keep up with her and I jumped, tackling her into a snowbank in front of Adam's house. He joined our pile and had thrown snow in our faces, we got him back by throwing snow at him for a good two minutes until his mother told all of us to stop and that we'd all get sick.

Once it was our time to head home, we had headed our own way for the night. Entering the house covered in snow, our mother asked us what happened. We explained to her everything and she had smiled listening to us. She always liked our stories, but then again for the past while she's always been the one to listen to our sisters. In the future I hope to be closer to my father, I hope I can let myself do that. But until then, it's with Mom we belong with. Here at home in Edina Minnesota.