Chapter 6

I woke at the same time as usual, so I could go down to the beach to fish with Waterlily. When I opened my eyes and see the different room around me, everything from yesterday crashed down onto me. Yesterday was the reaping and Waterlily was reaped and I didn’t have time to volunteer. The door opened, interrupting my thoughts. “Good. You’re up.” I looked over to the door to see Jared with a smile on his face. “Breakfast is almost ready. I smiled and sat up. Jared’s family was one of the wealthier ones so they had nice breakfasts. My family had money, but our breakfasts still consisted of bread and milk. Lately, Mist and I wouldn’t eat at all so we could get out and start fishing early before it got too hot. I swung my legs to the side of the bed and slid down the side. I walked out to the kitchen since I still had on my clothes from yesterday. Jared’s mom greeted me the second I entered. “Good Morning Mist! It’s good to see you up!” I knew what she meant. Her best friend’s son had gone into the Hunger Games a few years ago and his mother never got out of bed for two days after the reaping. “Are ready to work today or are you going to stay here?” Asked Jared as he set down a plate of pancakes.

“I guess I will work. It will be harder without Waterlily, but I can probably manage.”

“Well, I will be there to help you. Our house wasn’t damaged much. I can work on it tonight.”

“Thanks Jared.” I quickly finished eating my pancake, refusing any more that showed up in front of my face. I stood up and took my plate to the kitchen and washed it even with Jared’s mom telling me she would get it. I pulled on my big boots and pulled my brown hair into a ponytail and stepped out into the cool morning air. I few people milled about as they waited for the train’s arrival. I walked down to the train station. The water around it had receded, which would make it much easier to work. I could see, in the distance, the beach’s water had not receded, but was lowering. “Looks like we will be back fishing by the end of the week,” I mutter. The men walking around nearby nodded at my comment. One of the younger ones comes up.

“So what are you going to do about the uhh…” His voice trailed off as a pair of Peacekeepers walked by.

“I don’t know. I really don’t. I will try to figure that out as soon as we finish rebuilding or at least get pretty far on it.”

He nods then backs away. I can see a tiny hint of fear in his eyes. Fear for our country and what it was going to become. I felt a hand rest down on my shoulder.

“Don’t worry about what is going to happen. Just think about what is happening now.” I turn and smile at Jared.

“Thanks.” We stand side by side until I hear the whistle sound. Many people cheer as the train comes near, but the joy isn’t very full. Their joy is tinged with guilt and sorrow. I wasn’t the only person that missed my twin. Almost everyone in the district missed her. They knew that only one person would come out of the arena, and by the looks of it, it would be that snotty capitol girl, the one that trained in the capitol just for the games and moved to district two just so she could be in the games. She would win and the rebellion would just be an unused idea stuck in the back of our brains.