Chapter 9

There was a knock at the door and Mary Timothy walked in. Jane looked away from the creature at Mary and gave a rattling breath. "Mary. Help me." She breathed. When she looked back again there was not a trace of black mold or the creature. She and Mary were completely alone. She scrambled out of her chair to Mary. "Did... Did you see it? The thing on the roof?" She asked. Mary shook her head. "Y- you must have Mary. It was r- right there." She stuttered and pointed to her desk. Mary shook her head again and went to sit down on the couch. "Look Mary, I don't think I can talk to you right now..." She started to say but Mary interrupted her. "You are not alone. There is something with you." Mary said, turning white. She looked terrified at something over Jane's shoulder. Jane looked over her shoulder but saw nothing.  She asked Mary what she neant, starting to get scared too at the look on Mary's face. "It says you're his now. You can't escape." She said and started to shake. Then she gasped and quickly said she wanted to leave. Jane tried to stop her but she was already at the door. Jane desperately tried to stop her, tried to ask her what she meant. Mary turned to her, eyeing every now and then a certain place behind Jane. "Listen Dr. Clarke. It said it's going to... To kill you. I don't know what it is. I've never seen anything like it before. I can feel its demonic presence. I can't help you but good luck, Dr. Clarke." She said and looked sadly at Jane. Then the guards escorted her back to her room. Jane stared after her. The cold air from her office sending shivers down her spine. Crazy as it sounded, she knew Mary was telling the truth.

Jane still felt quite on edge by the time she was driving home. She felt cold all day and certain patients acted strangely when she spoke to them. They didn't speak but just shook or nodded their heads. Jane was glad when she could sit in he car and exhale, even though her shoulders felt heavy. Suddenly her phone rang. She reached her hand onto the backseat where her bag was. Feeling around for it, she touched something hairy and slimy. She stopped dead in her tracks, petrified to look behind her. So she looked in her rearview mirror to see pitch black eyes staring back at her. He opened his mouth to let out a crazy, frightening cackle, revealing pointed white teeth. She stared at it laughing then, without warning, it lunged at her from behind, aiming for her neck. She screamed and tried to push it off her but it was too strong. She started hitting it on its head. Then she looked back to the front for some kind of weapon only to see the car on the wrong side of the road and a truck speeding at it. The way she saw it now, either the creature was going to kill her or the truck is. She grabbed the steering wheel and yanked it left. The car swerved out of the way, narrowly missing the truck. It spun onto the sand on the side of the road, out of control. Then a tree put a stop to the car, making Jane bang her head against the steering wheel. She stayed still, breathing rapidly. Her heart was beating like mad in her chest. She finally looked up and to her backseat. The creature was gone, but the wounds its made on her neck with his long nails were not.