Chapter 17

During the time Jane was in her bedroom, the living room had been filled with candles and some other weird stuff. A strange scent filled the entire house and it gave her shivers. Jane, Randy and Jackson sat on a sofa facing a blank wall waiting for the clock to strike 12 o'clock. A few more minutes and she would see if what everyone has been saying is true. The house was completely silent. They sat and waited. She finally asked if they were ready. To say yes, Randy grabbed her hand on one side and Jackson on the other side. They stood up and faced the wall together. If you would have told her that she would have been holding hands with a mental patient and a demon hunter a few days ago, she would have said you were crazy. A few more seconds until 12 o'clock...

The clock struck 12... And she was still there. It was still quiet, everything was normal. Hot anger started to bubble up inside her. She harshly let go of their hands and turned to glare at them, her back now facing the blank wall. Randy looked confused but Jackson looked panicked. He tried to pull Jane back next to him but she wouldn't let him. "Was this a joke?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. They were quiet, their faces showing fear, anger and confusion. They stared at the wall behind her and just as she was about to ask what they were staring at, she heard a familiar hiss in her ear and the crackle of a flame. Her feet moved slowly forward to stand once again next to Jackson and Randy but a hand grabbed her shoulder making her stand still. She eyed the sharp clawed hand on her shoulder and turned cautiously around to face its owner. On the once blank wall was an opening... A portal to hell. Screams of anguish and howls of delight could be heard from inside and it made her sick to her stomach. The hand on her shoulder belonged to Markus Clang but it was the creature next to him that frightened her. It had blood red eyes and skin with horns on top of its head. It had a strange skinny body and it its one hand was the all too familiar pitchfork. He did not move his mouth but his voice echoed loudly through the house. "It is time for you to join us." It hissed. It was as if time stopped and everything and everyone stood still. The devil walked towards her and she could do nothing but stare into his cold eyes. He grabbed her arm and she felt a sharp pain flow through her body. She could not scream but her eyes went wide. He led her to the portal to push her through. Randy and Jackson were struggling to get free from the trance but were slowly coming to the senses. He motioned for her to go through the portal. She was fighting it as best as she could but she would not be able to resist much longer and the devil knew it, that is why he did not rush her but waited patiently for her to obey. She reached her hand out to the portal and the second her fingertips touched it, heat radiated throughout her body. Jackson finally broke free from the trance and addressed the devil. "Stop!" And so he did. Jane did not feel compelled to go through the portal but she was still frozen in place. All eyes turned to Jackson. "Don't take Jane. She had no say in the selling of her soul. It's not her fault she is in this situation." Jackson begged, hoping for mercy. The devil and Markus merely laughed and said that the deal is done. That was when Jackson did the unthinkable. "Then take me instead." He said and walked forward. The devil stopped laughing and stared at him as if he had grown two heads. "How very brave of you. You can most certainly take her place." The devil said and Markus moved forward to take Jackson. Randy and Jane were going crazy trying to get free. Jackson braced himself and gave Jane one last look, happy he could save her. But then he thought, could it be that easy? Before he could question this further, the devil said, "It's too bad she's already gone." And the room erupted into chaos.