Chapter 19

She gasped and sat bolt right up in bed. The people standing around her bed jumped at her sudden move. In an instant she was being hugged by everyone in the room. She saw her sister, Kyle, Mike even Paul. She stopped everyone to ask her questions. "What happened? How long have I been here?" These were her most urgent questions. They said her house was set on fire and Jackson died because he sustained major burns. She knew that was not true but it didn't seem any of them cared because they did not know Jackson but hearing the news put a heavy weight on her heart. He had sacrificed himself for her. They said she had been unconscious for three days but she had another question she was scared to ask. "Where's Randy?" At this everyone looked away. This got her worried so she repeated the question as more of a command. Paul said Jane would find him four doors down the hall. She got out of bed, startling everyone with her sudden energy but she felt more rested than she had been in weeks. She made her way down the hall and stepped into the fourth door. At the bed right by the window was Randy Civil. But not a scared or traumatized Randy, but a Randy that looked full of energy just like her. He sat upright in bed reading a book. She walked over to him and he smiled at the sight of her. She hugged him and sat on the chair next to his bed. She asked him how he was feeling and he replied by saying he had never felt better. He asked her the same question and she gave him the exact same answer. He explained that after Jackson sacrificed himself the entire room just exploded into flames. Jackson was possessed and it tried to kill Randy but a bright light shone and he went unconscious. "But I felt something comforting about the light. Like it was familiar." Randy said. She smiled at him and stood by the window of the hospital. "Randy, your brother says what happened to him wasn't your fault and he wants you to go on with your life." She said with her back turned to him. When she turned around his mouth was open and his knuckles white from gripping the book in his hands so hard. He asked her if the bright light was his brother. She replied by giving him a smile.