Chapter 10

Jane forced her door open and staggered out. Hot blood was trickling down the side of her face and her body was aching. She looked around. The sun was setting and the road was empty. There wasn't any close houses or buildings. The institution was built far away from towns in an isolated area. She took out her phone from the car and called her insurance company. As soon as she gave her location and hung up, she got another phone call. It was Clair, her older sister. "Hey Jane! I didn't talk to you in a long time. What're you doing?" She asked brightly. Jane and Clair had a close relationship but when they both started working, the didn't see each other much anymore. "Clair! I'd love to catch up and we can do it today. I need a lift home." Jane said, smiling slightly at her sister's enthusiasm. "What? Why? What's wrong with your car?" She asked, confused. Jane explained that she somehow lost control of her car and crashed into a tree. She didn't want to tell her the truth. She didn't need another person thinking she was crazy. "What! Okay! Text me your location and I'll be there as quick as I can. Sit tight." Clair said and hung up. Jane put away her phone and stared at her surroundings. There were a few trees in the distance but not a human being in sight. This gave her chills. But when she saw movement next to a tree and a shadowed figure staring at her, she got in her car and locked her door. Whether it was human or not, she didn't think it was friendly...

About 45 minutes later, Jane had signed papers for the insurance company and was driving home in Clair's expensive SUV. As soon as they were on the road, they spoke as though they had seen one another the previous day. Clair was a pretty woman in her early thirties. Ironically, Clair had gotten their mother's blonde hair and blue eyes and Jane had gotten their father's brown hair and brown eyes. Jane hadn't even realised they were back in West River Valley. " You still remember where I live, right?" Jane asked her sister. Clair just looked at her with amazement in her eyes. "You didn't actually think I was going to let you go home alone after that accident, did you?" She asked and Jane stared at her and laughed her first real laugh in days. They just went to Jane's apartment for her to get some clothes and toiletries. She was actually glad she wasn't going to be alone that night. She packed her stuff as fast as she could and got out of the apartment. "Thanks for letting me stay the night, Clair." Jane said when they pulled up in Clair's driveway. Her sister, who was a general surgeon, had an amazing house with extravagant rooms and large grounds. When Clair opened the front door, she was almost knocked over by two little girls. "Hi girls!" Clair said to her two twin daughters. MacKenzie and Susanna were six years old and although they were twins, they had many different features. MacKenzie, like her mother, had gold blonde hair and blue eyes. Susanna also had blue eyes but had café au lait blonde hair which she got from her father, who had light brown hair. It took them a few moments before they realised that Jane was standing there. "Aunt Jane!" The screamed together and hugged her too. "Hi guys! You're so big! When last did I see you two?" Jane said to them smiling. Then a voice said from the kitchen archway. "Well, isn't this a surprise? Good to see you again, Jane." Mike said. He was a handsome man with brown eyes and a muscular build. He kissed Clair and then hugged Jane. "Well are you staying for dinner?" Mike asked Jane but Clair answered for her. "Actually she's staying for the night." Clair said and explained to Mike everything that had happened. The girls had gone to play. When Clair had finished, Mike's mouth hung open and her stared at Jane asking if Claire should check her for any injuries. Mike asked her concerned. Jane just shook her head. After reassuring them she was fine, they all sat down for dinner. MacKenzie and Susanna had so much to tell Jane. When they were done eating, Clair showed Jane to a guest bedroom. "You're sure you're feeling okay?" Clair asked. Jane nodded her head and went to take a shower. Then she crawled into bed and drifted into a comfortable sleep.

Then she abruptly woke up. She did not know why but it felt like she was being watched. It was 02:34. She got up and went to the kitchen for a glass of water. She was standing at the kitchen window when she saw a little girl in the reflection. "MacKenzie?" She asked uncertainly. But when she turned around there was no one there. She walked out of the kitchen and into the hallway. She heard footsteps running up the stairs. She walked slowly up the stairs. Jane called her name but no one answered. Finally the footsteps stopped in a dark hallway. As Jane peered down the hall, a door on the right opened. Cautiously, she entered the room. It was pitch black but she sensed movement around her. "MacKenzie, you are in so much trouble. Wait until your mother hears about this..." But she was cut off by a sudden light source in the room. It looked like a candle had been lit. It only lit a few inches around it but Jane was able to see a finger with a long, sharp nail reaching out. To her horror, the finger knocked over the candle setting fire to the carpet underneath. The fire created a circle, surrounding Jane and trapping her with some kind of creatures. It was the same two creatures that tried to kill her before. Staring at her with a hungry expression, they started to crawl forward. Abruptly they stopped, looking at her petrified. They crawled backward, whimpering. Were they scared of her? But her question was answered by a hiss in her ear. They were not scared of her but what was behind her...