17. I give up. 20 (I deleted 3 chapters)

“Alex I swear to god if you say that we need to go over it again, then I am going to rip your pretty little head off of your shoulders and shove it so far up your ass that you will be puking your own head for the next month!” Jack threatened me.

“You always did have a vivid imagination and that was not an image I needed in my life,” Zack muttered as he collapsed on the couch and poured a bottle of water over his head.

“It’s not perfect yet.” I replied as I picked up Jack’s guitar and started to strum the chord sequence out again. We were having our lengthiest band practice yet, which was close to running to eight hours long as I refused to let anyone go until we were perfect. The battle of the bands final was coming up at the end of the week and I’d like to say we were good enough to make it through to the final but the truth was that there were three bands that entered the whole competition compared to the sixteen that usually entered.

“Hey it’s okay if it’s not perfect right now; we have time to perfect it. But we won’t be able to do that if we don’t have any hands to play our instruments,” Rian placed his hand on my shoulder to try and relax me and it worked somewhat.

“You know if it wasn’t in fact my guitar you were holding I would come over there and smash it around your head. That way you’ll stop stressing and taking it out on us,” Jack stated as he forcibly pried his guitar out of my hands.

“I’m sorry guys, I just want to do well in the competition, but I also want the song to sound really good and I don’t know,” I mumbled, trailing off at the end of the sentence as I didn’t know what I was actually trying to say.

“Well why don’t we call it a day for now and come back to it the day after tomorrow. Zack you’re not going anywhere until you clean that mess,” Jack told his friend as both he and Rian went to leave.

“Dude I was just going to get a cloth to clean it up with,” he replied.

“Liar,” Jack muttered but left Zack to it.

“Oh by the way Zack, I’m coming to yours tomorrow so we can carry on with our art project,” I called out just as he was nearing the top of the stairs causing the three people in the room to stare at me.

“You’re actually doing homework?” Rian asked.

“I thought we’d done everything we could together?” Zack questioned, while Jack just glared at me.

“I thought we were going out tomorrow?”

“Yes Rian, I can’t get out of this one and we have Zack, but I need you to cover for me.”

“Do you not remember our last conversation?”

“I know, but this is the last time I promise,” I pleaded.

“If my mother doesn’t kill you the next time she sees you then I will because I will be losing my balls for this Gaskarth. Just don’t come anywhere near my house for the next couple of weeks,” he gave in after thinking about it for a couple of minutes. “It had better be worth it though, or I swear to God Alex.”

“Oh it’ll be worth it,” Jack grinned with a slightly evil look in his eyes. Oh God that meant he was gonna get me back for last week.

“So why’d you need me to cover for you exactly, you’re only seeing Jack?”

“I’m still technically not allowed to see him yet. It was part of the terms of me getting ungrounded. Practice is the only time outside of school I’m allowed to see him because my mom knows how important music is to me. I’m actually supposed to go straight home now, so don’t let my mom see you,” I explained as they finally left the basement. Jack and I followed behind and went through to the kitchen when they had left the house

“So why am I so special that you get banned from seeing me?” He asked sitting on the kitchen counter.

“Don’t think you’re so special. My mom can’t ‘punish’ me any other way. She can’t take my computer because school. She can't take my TV because I don’t watch it and I don’t think she’s ever actually seen me play on my Xbox.”

“How long am I banned for?”

“End of the week, why?”

“I miss your bed Lexy,” he whined.

“Aww Jacky it’s just six more days, then you don’t have to leave it again,” I replied standing between his legs so that I could get closer to hug him.

“Do you mean that?” His eyes lit up slightly.

“I’m going to regret this but, yes Jack I meant that.”

“Just so’s you know I wasn’t going to leave anyway,” he grinned as he rested his chin on top of my head.

“Of course you weren’t.”