Chapter 9: Overreactions

“Youngjae-ah,” Jinyoung said shaking his friend’s shoulder, “Your shift is over.” Youngjae broke free of his trance with a shake of his head, “Thanks hyung,” he mumbled reaching for his book bag beneath the counter. “What is wrong with you man?” Jinyoung asked his friend in concern, “You’ve been in this weird daze all week.” Youngjae shook his head again, “Nothing, Jinyoung-hyung,” he said pulling off his apron.

He tried to leave but Jinyoung snagged his elbow, “You know you’re a terrible liar right?” he asked pulling the younger back behind the counter, “Tell hyungie what’s wrong.” Youngjae sighed and gave in, maybe Jinyoung could give him some insight (they were best friends after all).

He waited for a woman and her infantile son to pass by the counter before speaking, “I had sex with JB last weekend,” he hesitantly revealed. “Well that’s not something I wanted to hear,” the elder said in disgust, his face scrunched up like he’d just eaten a lemon. Youngjae shrugged unapologetically, “Hey, you wanted to know what was wrong,” he justified as he drummed his fingers on the counter.

“So what’s the problem?” Jinyoung asked with a confused shrug, “Was it really awful? Because JB seems like he would be a spectacular lover.” “He was,” Youngjae confirmed with an ear-to-ear grin, “It was perfect, though we were a little drunk. He was everything I thought he’d be, and then some. I mean you wouldn’t believe all the hickeys he left.”

Youngjae proudly yanked the neck of his hoodie aside to showcase the faint purple bruises that were scattered along his collar bone. “OK Youngjae, please don’t make me sick,” his hyung gagged as he pulled the drawstrings of his hoodie tightly, “skip over the X-rated crap and tell me the problem.” “OK, the problem is that when I woke up the next morning he was gone. He didn’t call me, text me, or even leave a note,” the younger explained sullenly.

“Have you tried calling him? Maybe something happened, like an emergency with Mina,” Jinyoung offered with a reassuring shoulder pat. Youngjae nodded, “That’s what I thought too, but I’ve been trying to reach him all week and he won’t respond. I must’ve left him like, 12 voicemails and more than 50 text messages, but still nothing,” he told him waving his hands, “Has he said anything to you?”

Jinyoung shook his head, “No Youngjae, I haven’t heard from Jaebummie all week. He must be avoiding me too,” he told him apologetically. “Do you think something happened to him?” Youngjae asked as fear struck through his heart. Jinyoung chuckled and shook his head, “He’s OK, I saw him leave to walk Mina to school this morning, he just didn’t say anything to me. He didn’t even look in this direction,” he informed.

Youngjae groaned in frustration, “Then I don’t understand what went wrong Jinyoung-hyung,” he said shaking his head, “Why would Jaebum just ignore me? Especially after what happened last weekend.” He ran his fingers through his hair, “Maybe this was all a part of some plan to get me into bed,” he said beginning to pace with his hands on his hips.

Jinyoung shook his head in disbelief, “What?” he asked. Youngjae anxiously rubbed the back of his neck, “Maybe he pretended to like me so he could screw me. And now that he’s had me he can stop pretending and move on to his next bedmate,” he said, his tone laced with hints of depression. Jinyoung laughed, “Do you honestly think Jaebum is that kind of guy?” he asked incredulously.

“I don’t know what to think anymore hyung. Because, one minute, I have this great new boyfriend who I have mind- blowing sex with. And the next, he’s M.I.A., I mean, is he even my boyfriend anymore? Was he ever actually my boyfriend to begin with? Or did he just let me believe that to make it easier to have sex with me? He’s a great looking guy, he could have any person he wants, and maybe that’s his plan,” Youngjae insecurely ranted.