Chapter 19: Double Pinky Promise

A/N

This is a tooth-rotting-ly cute chapterrr. I am gonna be changing the covers once in a while Too so yee.

“Hey Mina?” Youngjae called poking his head into the little girl’s room, “May I come in?” Mina looked up from her mystical magical girl storybook and smiled at the elder, “Of course you can, Youngjae-oppa,” she consented with a nod. Youngjae fully entered her room, “Thanks,” he said crawling into the bed beside her, “I wanted to talk to you about something,” Mina watched as her brother’s boyfriend settled into a comfy sitting position beside her, “About what oppa?” she queried curiously.

Youngjae pretzel-folded his legs and rested an elbow on his knee, “About our friendship,” he replied as he rested his chin in his hand, “I haven’t been a very good friend to you lately.” Mina leaned back against her stacked pillows and asked, “What do you mean?” “I kind of yanked myself out of your life when your brother and I broke up. I told you we were friends and then I just left you hanging,” the blond elaborated regretfully.

Mina shrugged, “But I understand why, JB-oppa was a total jackass to you,” she waved off. Youngjae grinned and tweaked her little pointy nose, “Mina, you know that’s a bad word…even if it is true, ” he semi-scolded, “and I still shouldn’t have avoided you like that.” “Look oppa, you don’t have to apologize. Grown-ups are never friends with kids, that’s just something they say to get on kids’ good-sides,” Mina told the elder wisely; clearly she’s had some experience in this field.

Youngjae furrowed his brows and tweaked the younger’s nose again, “Hey, that’s not true,” he disagreed with a shake of his head, “I think you and I are great friends, I wouldn’t be apologizing if I didn’t value our friendship.” She nodded, seeming to compute what he was saying. “If that’s true, then why’d you leave me hanging in the first place?” she asked suddenly.

Youngjae scooted closer to Mina and wrapped his arm around her tiny shoulders, “I’m sorry Mina, it wasn’t my intention to do that,” he defended, “But your brother hurt me so bad that I had to distance myself from him and anything that reminded me of him.” “Including me,” the young girl concluded sadly hugging her knees to her chest. “But now that you’re back together we can be friends again?” she asked skeptically looking over at him, “What if you break up again? You’ll just blow me off again.” Youngjae shook his head, “That’s not true,” he denied with a shake of his head.

“How can you be so sure that it won’t happen again? That you and my brother will stay together?” Mina asked, her long dark hair falling into her face slightly. Youngjae reached over and tucked her hair behind her ear, her little stud earring glistening in the soft lamplight, “Mina, I can’t guarantee that JB and I will always be together,” he conceded, “But I can guarantee that you and I will always be friends.”

She looked up at him hopefully, “How will you do that?” she asked him. “By showing you my top-secret promise handshake,” Youngjae revealed with a happy eye-smile. Mina’s eyes widened at the phrase, ‘top-secret.’ “Really?” she asked turning to face him fully, “Will you show me?” Youngjae nodded, “That was my plan all along,” he agreed pushing her fallen dark strands back again.

“Alright, Im Mina,” Youngjae said placing his hands on her shoulders, “I want you to extend both of your pinkies,” he instructed. Mina quickly did as she was told, her tiny pinky fingers stretched out and pointed in his direction. Youngjae quickly linked pinkies with her, “This is called a ‘Double Pinky Promise,’” he explained to her as he crisscrossed their arms, “and only the most serious promise-keepers use it.”