Chapter 20: Strawberry With Chocolate Sprinkles

Jaebum angrily swung his apartment door open, ‘What type of jerk has the nerve to visit at midnight?’ he hatefully thought. His chocolate eyes widened in bewilderment as colorful confetti bits was thrown into his shiny dark hair and he heard a familiar voice happily sang out, “Saeng-il chukha hamnida!” Youngjae quickly returned his hand behind his back and excitedly waited for his boyfriend to respond. Jaebum’s thick eyebrows dropped into a glare, “Youngjae, what the hell are you doing?” he asked in mild annoyance.

Who just shows up in the middle of the night throwing confetti at unsuspecting people?

Youngjae smiled brightly at his boyfriend, “Being the first to wish you a happy birthday,” he joyously replied, clearly he was very proud of himself for this late night ambush. Jaebum couldn’t help but smile back, his boyfriend’s bright mood was contagious. “Come inside, Youngjae-ah, before you get sick,” the elder lightly scolded as he nodded back towards the inside of his, no doubt warm, apartment. Youngjae followed his boyfriend into the kitchen, “Um, hyung? Where’s your sister?” he asked, a quick glance in Mina’s empty room had him very curious.

Jaebum leaned back against the black kitchen counter, “My little monster is spending the night at Jinju’s,” he answered tiredly, “I promised her I’d pick her up bright and early so we can spend all day tomorrow together.” Youngjae pouted for a quick second, “Am I invited? Or is it going to be an ‘Im Family Day’?” he queried. Jaebum grinned and nodded, “Of course you’re invited,” he patronized, “Who do you think is going to be paying for everything?” Youngjae scoffed at that, “What makes you think I’ll be paying for anything?” he snapped back.

JB laughed, “Mina doesn’t have any money, and you don’t expect the birthday boy to pay do you?” he countered as he reached up and combed down the younger’s messy golden fringe, secretly enjoying the way his soft hair felt between his fingers. Youngjae scrunched up his face, taking care to keep his hands tucked behind his back, and mumbled, “I guess I can go broke for you two.” He gave in so easily sometimes…almost every time when it came to JB. Jaebum fisted his hand in the blond’s coat and pulled him into a soft kiss. “I promise we’ll budget your money properly,” the elder said before chastely kissing the younger again.

Youngjae grinned into the kiss, “You’re so kind to monitor my money, thanks,” came his sarcastic reply when they broke apart again. “So…” Jaebum mumbled as he grabbed a glass from the dish rack, “Are you going to tell me what you’re hiding behind your back? Or are you just going to stand there like an armless man all night?” He filled his glass with water from the purified tap, and then turned to face his boyfriend once more. Youngjae smiled and shrugged, “It’s a surprise, hyung,” he answered taking a step closer, “I need you to close your eyes first.” Jaebum chuckled and shook his head, but did as requested.

His brows knitted again when he heard a lighter flick and the smell of burning wax hit him. “OK hyung, open your eyes,” Youngjae instructed, JB could tell he was grinning from ear-to-ear. He couldn’t stop his own smile from spreading across his face when his eyes landed on the small tray holding a delectable looking chocolate cupcake with pink frosting and chocolate sprinkles carelessly resting on top of the whipped swirl; a lone burning rainbow candle was impaled right in the middle.

“Happy birthday, Im Jaebum,” Youngjae cheered through an eye-smile, “Make a wish and blow out your candle.” ‘He’s so cute,’ the birthday boy thought lovingly. He braced his hands on the younger’s shoulders, leaned forward, and blew out his candle. “Wow that was fast, did you even make a wish?” Youngjae asked skeptically. “Of course I did,” Jaebum replied as he pulled his boyfriend as close as the dessert between them would allow, “Do you want me to tell you what it is?” Youngjae shook his head and reached up to pluck some stray confetti from the elder’s hair, “It won’t come true if you do,” he denied.