Chapter 3: Flour

A/N

YOUNGJAE LENDS A HELPING HAND.

"Wah daebak Youngjae-oppa," Mina complimented in astonishment, "How'd you learn to do that?" She excitedly kicked her legs from her place on the island counter and waited for a reply. Youngjae smiled and lifted the drinking glass he was holding, "My eomma taught me how to do this when I was about your age," he answered.

He rarely made cookies now that he was grown, but he couldn't stop himself from reaching back into his childhood now that he was given the chance. He dusted the bottom of the glass with more flour and pressed it into the next ball of sugar cookie dough, he lifted the glass again after a few seconds and the newly flattened dough ball sported the design of the bottom of the glass, doing this was the only part about making cookies he actually enjoyed.

Mina's dark brown eyes sparkled in awe as she cheered again, "So cool," she looked over at her brother, who was pouring cake batter into a pan, "Isn't he cool Jaebum-oppa?" She looked at him with hopeful eyes and waited for him to agree with her. Jaebum looked up from his task and smiled at his little sister, "Yes Mina, Youngjae-ah is very cool," he easily agreed.

Youngjae pretended not to hear the compliment and continued with his work of imprinting on the dough balls. He had to remember to buy Jinyoung a 'thank you' gift, he was the reason Youngjae was here hanging out with Mina and Jaebum. Jinyoung had dragged the nervous Youngjae along with him to help Jaebum and Mina bake for her class' bake sale. But as soon as they arrived, Jinyoung had made up some bogus excuse about having to cover for another employee, leaving Youngjae alone with the siblings.

It was his very first time meeting Mina and his very first time hanging out with Jaebum outside the convenience store, he was feeling twice as nervous. He wanted to make a good impression on both siblings. After the trio had spent about an hour preparing dough for 50 cookies and batter for a cake, Youngjae had unconsciously showcased his special cookie design trick.

Mina smiled brightly at Youngjae, her dark bangs tickling her thick brows, "No one else will be bringing cookies like these, they'll be too busy making theirs in the shape of hearts," she confidently told him, her round cheeks were covered in flour. Youngjae laughed and nodded, "You'll definitely have the most popular cookies. No one's gonna even look at the other kid's cookies," he guaranteed while poking her nose.

He knew it was super corny to say that, but her adorable smile brought out his inner cheesiness. "Yah, oppa's cake is going to be good too Mina," Jaebum playfully yelled in a jealous tone, "It's not just about Youngjae's special cookies." "Jaebum-oppa, don't be jealous, your cake is going to be awesome too," Mina reassured her big brother.

She nudged Youngjae's arm and slyly whispered, "But your cookies are going to be better." Youngjae laughed at that, 'OK, I like this little girl,' he thought as he high fived her. Jaebum smiled, rolled his eyes, and went back to his underappreciated cake.

"Hey, Youngjae-oppa, can I try?" she asked him pointing at the glass. Youngjae nodded, "Yes, but let's add a little variety," he suggested. "How?" she curiously asked fidgeting with the lace trim of her blue-striped apron. Youngjae wiped his hands on his borrowed standard black apron and went over to the cabinet where the other glasses were. "With a different glass," he revealed and grabbed a cup with a different design on the bottom.

It was amazing how easily he moved around the kitchen that was completely foreign to him an hour ago, he felt so comfortable with Jaebum and Mina. He handed the glass to her and also pushed a tray of undisturbed sugar dough balls toward her. Jaebum watched intently from the opposite side of the kitchen as Youngjae walked his little sister through the cookie imprinting process, he'd never seen his sister take to anyone so quickly. Even with Jinyoung she was quiet and shy around him the first few times they'd met.