Chapter Twelve

SILVER'S P.O.V.

"Yeah, its me.....Hi Dad." I say awkwardly. "Silver....." He drawls out. "What do you think, Mike?" Lily prompts gently. "What's wrong, Daddy?" Kristen wonders. Lily hurries over to her and covers her mouth with the palm of her hand. "Hush." She commands. Mike scrambles to his feet and looks me up and down from head to toe. "She has your nose." Lily points out unhelpfully. He then looks away, eyes glistening, over his shoulder. "Becca." He murmurs. "My mother is fine." I announce. He looks back at me. "I know. I spoke to her. She warned me you were coming. I-I thought I would be ready but-but.....excuse me." He says and hurries away. "Daddy?" Kristen says. I exhale for eight seconds. "Well, that was a bust." I mumble. "Don't be so hard on yourself, Silver. Mike is a very emotional and sensitive man. He's just overwhelmed right now. He'll come around, I promise." Lily promises. Just like me.

===================================================================================

BECCA'S P.O.V.

I pace as I wait for Silver to answer her cell. There is no answer and it goes straight to voicemail. I decide to hang up without leaving a message. I would be communicating with her soon anyway. I call Lily and Mike's home. The phone is answered. "Hello?" I hear Lily breathe. "Hey Lily, its Becca." I say. "Becca." She repeats. "Is Silver there?" I ask. "Yes." Lily responds quickly. "Did she meet Mike?" I demand. ".......Yes." She says. "And?" I prompt. She hesitates before answering. "Mike freaked out and ran away. That's about all that's happened." Lily tells me. I roll my eyes. "Typical Mike." I say. "Tell me about it." Lily agrees and we share a laugh. "I'll go talk to Mike in a minute. Silver seems very upset. I don't know what she was expecting." She goes on. "Honestly, neither do I. Hey, can I talk to Mike instead? I have a few choice words for him." I say hotly. "Um, sure! I'll ask him." She replies, sounding quite surprised. "Thanks." I say. "Be right back." She promises. There is a brief moment of crackling and then silence. I wait for two minutes before I hear the rustling of someone picking up the other line. "Hello?" Comes the bemused voice of Mike. "Mike." I say briskly. "Hi Becca...." He says hesitantly. "You get your ass downstairs and talk to our daughter this instant! She's always been interested about you! Don't spoil the dream for her. Treat her nice, apologize, tell her anything she wants to know, and just be a plain old good dad!" I order him. I hear him sigh. "Becca, I-" "DO IT!" I scream at him and hang up the phone abruptly.

=====================================================================================

SILVER'S P.O.V.

I take a sip of tea. I hear footsteps slowly trudging down the stairs. I perk up. Could Mike be coming back?! My biological father rounds the corner and flashes me a tight-lipped smile. "Dad!" I greet him. He frowns. "Shouldn't you be mad?" He questions. "Mad? Why on earth would I be mad?" I wonder. "Maybe because I abandoned you when you were only a few months old and made no attempts to contact you?" He points out. I slouch. "Oh." I say. "But this is nice too!" He says suddenly and cheerily. I flash him a smile. He goes and takes a spot on the couch next to me. "So tell me about yourself, Sil." He says nonchalantly. I frown. "No one has ever called me 'Sil' before." I respond. "Well maybe that will just be our thing." He says. "Our thing." I repeat.

=================================================================================

DYLAN'S P.O.V.-TWO DAYS LATER

"What did you say the address was again?" I ask my wife over the phone. She tells me. I had just reached Eagle River, Alaska after a long, two-and-a-half day drive. It is snowing. I am amazed. Our part of Hardenberg has never seen snow. Growing up in the Dominican Republic I have never experienced the wonder and whimsy of the dancing snowflakes as my wife has. I am struck by the magic. I can barely concentrate. Good thing I was already pulled over making a phone call. There is no visible snow on the ground but surely it is sticking. It is quite cold. I can't wait to get out of this confining car, stretch my legs, and go bask in the wonder of this beauty! "Dylan!" My wife snaps. I jump and snap back into reality. "Well, that was a little harsh, don't you think?" I grumble. "I've been trying to get your attention for a minute!" She replies impatiently. "Sorry." I mumble. "What were you day-dreaming about?" She demands. "It's snowing." I tell her. Oh, right. You're one of them. You've never seen 'the burden' before." She sighs. "Its not a burden!" I protest. "Spoken like a person that's never had to shovel the driveway, drive, chip ice off of the windshield, should I go on?" She lists. I roll my eyes. "Ok, Ok, whatever. I got to go find your daughter." I say. "Love you." She offers. "Love you too. 'Bye." I respond and hang up. I watch the snow once more and pull back on the road to continue.

==============================================================================

SILVER'S P.O.V

"What do you want for lunch?" Kristen asks me shyly. She has just come from the kitchen where Lily was currently preparing to prepare food. "I don't know. What sounds good to you?" I respond, feigning enthusiasm. "Grilled cheese and soup!" She tells me in an instant. I rub my stomach largely. "Mmm. Sounds delicious! Let's have that!" I say cheerily. Kristen grins. "Ok!" She chirps and makes a beeline back to the kitchen. I sigh and sit back. My mom's husband was due here anytime soon. I don't know what I should refer to him as in the future now. I suppose I will just call him Dylan. I get up and wander into the kitchen. "Need help?" I offer Lily and Kristen. Lily shakes her head. "No, thank you. You can keep us company though!" She replies. I shrug. "Ok." I agree simply. Mike wanders into the room then. He kisses Lily and Kristen's cheeks. He then walks over and kisses my cheek like it wasn't the big deal that I'd made it out to be in my head. I touch the wetness where his lips have touched a moment ago, shocked. "I was heading down to the bar to get me-self some rum. Want some?" He offers Lily casually. "Sounds sc-rum-sious." Lily replies. Mike and I roll our eyes. "Two rums." He says and walks off. "Did you like my pun?" Lily asks me with a wink. "It was terrible." I answer honestly. Lily smiles to herself and busies herself with slicing cheese.

=================================================================================

DYLAN'S P.O.V.

I have arrived. Time to retrieve Silver.