Chapter Fifteen

BECCA'S P.O.V.

I crumble to the ground, unable to process this. Silver can't be dead. Not her and my unborn baby. Within days of each other. No. It can't be so. "No." I hiss, "You're wrong. My baby isn't dead." I hiss into the phone. "I have the report right here. Four dead, one survivor. The survivor is Kirsten Caulfield. I need you to come down and identify the body." He goes on. "There is no body for me to identify. Silver is not dead." I say firmly. "Rebecca, you need to accept the facts. Silver Floare is dead. Please come down and identify the bodies."

==================================================================================

"I just got off the phone with a police officer. Silver is dead." I murmur to Dylan. His eyes practically pop out of his head. "No. Say it isn't so." He whispers. I sigh and shut my eyes. "But it is so. They need me to go identify the bodies." I whimper. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me to his chest. I go eagerly. We let the floodgates open and the tears flow. We stand there in that warm embrace for what feels like forever, just rocking back and forth. "Any survivors?" Dylan asks finally. I lift my head to look up at him. "Just one. His other daughter; Kirsten." "What will happen to Kirsten?" He wonders. "I don't know." I admit, "But we could take her if necessary, right?" He breaks apart from me. "Are you serious?" He demands. "Yes. We owe to them." I reply evenly. "How so?" He grills. I shrug. "I don't know. They probably have a guardian all lined up." I say.

==================================================================================

I cannot bring myself to tell the children that their oldest sister is dead. I make Dylan do it.

OMG. OMG. OMG. I am Kirsten's guardian! I remember!
====================================================================================

2047

"Another drink, barten-da!" I drooled at the bartender and burst into hysterical laughter. I was so stinking drunk that day. He sat another beer in front of me and I start chugging it. I looked to my left and I saw Lily of all people chugging a beer of her own, a paper in front of her. "Lily!" I screeched and fell out of my seat. I made my way to my feet and staggered over to her. I slung an arm over her. "Lee-Lee!" I greet her. She looked at me. "Becca!" She said, surprised. "I haven't seen you in forever! What are you doing in town?" I demanded. "I need a guardian for my daughter. I know lots of people here!" She answered. "I'll be the guardian!" I offered without thought. She shrugs. "Ok." She said and slid the papers over to me. I did all the essential paperwork and passed out.

======================================================================================

2052

"I'm the guardian of Kirsten Caulfield." I tell my husband. "What?" He snorts. I recount the story of that 2047 night to him. "You lose a daughter, you gain a daughter." He murmurs. I force a smile. "I suppose."

========================================================================================

THREE DAYS LATER

I am crying. "I know it's hard now but we must be strong for our new girl! She lost her whole family." Dylan tells me as he focuses on the road. We are supposed to be at the police station in five minutes. "I lost Silver and the baby!" I wail. "Calm. Calm." He urges.

==========================================================================================

"Kirsten? I'm Becca, Silver's mother. You will be living with me now." I tell the little girl huddled on the wooden bench in a red fleece blanket. "I can't live with you. I live with my mommy my daddy and my brother Charles." She responds, sounding confused. A girl in a white long coat with a pixie cut heaves herself off the wall and walks over to the child. "Kirsten? Remember what we talked about?" She says gently. Kirsten hangs her head. "Yes Doctor Harvey." She mumbles. I extend a hand to her. "We must go to your home to collect your things." I tell her. "Can we live there?" She wonders hopefully. "Sorry, no." I reply. She slides off the bench and takes my hand. "Let's go." She sighs. I turn and lead her out the door into the world.