Chapter Eight

I have been on this bus to Alaska for an hour now and no one has come to sit by me yet. I am grateful, I hate sitting next to strangers on buses. The ride is silent and boring. I take out my phone and fall asleep reading.

When I wake up there is a blond, curly-haired girl in the seat next to me. I jump and grunt with surprise. She looks concerned. "Sorry if I scared you. There were no other seats available when I got on and by the time there were I got comfortable. Is that bad? I can move-" "No. It's fine. It was my fault I fell asleep." I cut her off. She smiles gratefully. "Good. I hate giving off a bad vibe." She says. I wear a tight-lipped smile. "My name's Sky. Sky Chester." She announces. "I'm Silver. Silver Floare." I respond. "So.....are you going to Alaska too?" She wonders. I nod. "Yeah." I say. She grins. "It's a great place to visit. You'll have a wonderful vacation. I should know, I live there." She trills. "I'm not vacationing." I mumble. "Pardon?" Sky asks. "I'm not vacationing. I'm on a quest." I tell her. She perks up even more. "A mission! What fun! What is it?" She asks. "Why do you care?" I mutter. She sits back. "I understand. You don't want to talk about it to a complete stranger now. I'll remain silent." She sighs and shuts her eyes. I roll my eyes. "I'm going to find my biological father. I was born while my mother and him were still in high school. They planned on getting married a couple months after I was born. He left her at the alter for her best friend/maid of honour and they moved to Alaska to start a family. I want to find him." I tell her, wondering why I was deciding to confine in some random stranger. Sky opens her eyes. "Ohmiga wow! That's quite the mission! Is there a way I can help? Do you know their names?" She responds. "Mike and Lily. Mike and Lily Caulfield." I tell her. She crinkles her eyes. "Sorry. I've never seen them. Do they live in Eagle River?" She says. I shrug. "I should hope so! That's where this bus drops off, right?" I reply. "Correct." She affirms. "All that I know is that they're somewhere in Alaska." I say. Sky frowns thoughtfully. After a moment she shrugs and looks away. I turn and stare out the window.

===============================================================================

MELANIE'S P.O.V.

Silver's been missing for several hours and no one has the slightest idea of where she is. Mom thinks she's going to Alaska to find her biological father but personally, knowing Silver, she's probably just at the mall. I don't understand why she's suddenly so obsessed with finding her biological father. You don't see me trying to find my birth family. Even though they left me information to find them to find them when I am eighteen but I suppose since Silver is about eighteen its sort of fair. She should just be glad she grew up with a teen mom willing to keep her baby unlike my real mom. See, I know stuff about my parents! But meh, is that even relevant to what I'm saying?

Ok, that is all I wish to say. Thanks for listening.

=================================================================================

SILVER'S P.O.V.

We are stopped at a bus stop in Grandma Floare's town. I'm just hanging around stretching my legs until we can get back on. I've had no contact with my family yet although its only been mere hours. I am leaning against a pole, watching people pass by, men and women alike. There is one woman specifically that catches my eye. Its my Aunt Lara! I fling myself off the wall and follow after her, calling her name. She doesn't seem to hear me. "Aunt Lara! Aunt Lara, its me, Silver!" I try again. This time, her three-inch come to a halt and she turns to face me. She is very surprised to see me and she walks over to me. "Silver! What on earth are you doing down here? Where's your mom and the rest of you guys?" She demands. "Their back in Hardenberg. I'm taking a trip to Alaska." I tell her. She cocks an eyebrow. "Does Becca know you're down here?" She says. I rub my arm. "Yes." I lie. She gives me a knowing look. "Ok, no. Please don't tell Mom and Dad! I swear I'm down here for a really good reason just please don't tell them!" I beg. Aunt Lara is sporting a poker face as she thinks to herself for moment. "Why are you down here?" She asks finally. "I'm looking for my birth father and his family. They live in Alaska. This is just a stop along the way." I explain to her. Aunt Lara frowns. "That is a good reason. But you still shouldn't be running away from home, Silver!" She scolds. "What's going on here?" Asks a voice coming up behind Aunt Lara. The owner of the voice steps around Aunt Lara and its revealed to be Aunt Ivory! "Aunt Ivory!" I greet her. "Silver, my stars, what on earth are you doing down here? Where's your mother? And your sisters and Dylan?" She says. "Not here. They don't know she's here. She's snuck off on a quest to find Mike and Lily." Aunt Lara answers for me. So they knew them! Off course they knew them, stupid, they were at the wedding and Lily was my mom's best friend. Aunt Ivory shakes her head and clucks. "Oh, Silver, that can't do. I 'ought to call Becca immediately and escort you home myself." She sighs. She produces her phone and starts scrolling. "Wait! Ivory, she might not get another chance like this! Give her a shot." Aunt Lara puts in. Aunt Ivory looks up and I flash Aunt Lara a grateful look. Aunt Ivory snorts. "Silver is eighteen, Lara. She'll have plenty an opportunity." She insists. "Silver is eighteen, Ivory. She can do whatever she wants. Gosh, I fear for how you're raising your kids." Aunt Lara retorts. Aunt Ivory rolls her eyes. "Becca has a right to know." She says. "Silver doesn't deserve to be chased." Aunt Lara replies. Aunt Ivory dials on her phone and Aunt Lara snatches it out of her hands. "How about a deal?" She proposes. I nod slowly. Aunt Lara looks over at Aunt Ivory who is watching her expectantly. "We won't call your mother and tell her. But if she calls us and demands to know if we know anything regarding you, you know we'll have no choice." She suggests. "And we need updates at each bus station. And while you're there and so on." Aunt Ivory throws in. I frown and cross my arms. "You know that's fair." Aunt Lara says. After a pause, I sigh and nod, agreeing. They smile at me. Aunt Lara checks her Cartier. "Ok, good luck sweetie. I have to get going if I'm going to catch my bus. And you will too in a moment to catch yours." She says. She kisses my forehead and walks away while Aunt Ivory and I look on. After she's disappeared, Aunt Ivory turns to me. "Come on, I'll wait for the bus with you." She says.