Chapter Thirteen

BECCA'S P.O.V.

Something is going wrong with the baby, I just know it. I'm having the most terrible cramps in the abdominal area. Perhaps its just something I ate. I stagger over to the bathroom. I slam it shut behind me and lock it. A mere second later, there is a pounding on the door. "Mom? Are you ok?" Melanie demands anxiously. "Yes, I'm fine. Just a horrible stomach bug, I suppose." I gasp. I settle myself on the toilet and gasp, nearly fainting at the sight of the blood. My back aches terribly and I lean over the trash next to the toilet and spew out last night's chicken. "Melanie, are you still there?" I breathe. There a slight pause. "Yes, Mum." She answers. "Call 9-1-1." I command. "What should I tell them?" She asks. I hesitate before admitting my worst fear. "Tell them I think I'm having a miscarriage."

====================================================================================

DYLAN'S P.O.V.

I knock on the door three consecutive times. I hear dainty footsteps scurrying towards the door and it is flung open by a woman holding a cup with brown liquid sloshing about as its contents. I swallow and she looks at me expectantly. "I'm here for Silver." I tell her. She exhales loudly. "You must be Dylan." She says and takes a step back. "Come in, then. Welcome." She says. I force a polite smile and enter. She slams the door shut behind us. "Mama, flip the sandwich! It's going to burn!" A young, feminine voice shouts. The woman, Lily I suppose, cusses under her breath and rushes away, only offering me an "excuse me." I remove my coat, hat and shoes and follow after her, towards the tempting aroma. I find Silver, sitting at a table, loudly slurping up soup She is sitting with two little children. Those must be her half-siblings. "Hi Silver." I say. She jumps and looks up at me, startled. "Oh! Hi....." She says awkwardly. I narrow my eyes. "What has gotten into you!? You're mother and I were worried sick! Do you have an idea-" My lecture is cut short by the ringing of my cell phone. "Hold on." I mumble and dig it out of my pocket and check the number. I frown. It is our home number. I answer. "Hello?" "Hi Daddy, its Ella." Comes the voice. I soften. "Hey Ella. What's up?" I ask gently. "Mummy's going to da hos-tal. Melly's going with her. Ma-ya's coming over to watch me and Stella. Melly said to call and tell you." Ella tells me. I am instantly stricken by panic. I regret my decisions. I shouldn't have left her. "Why is Mummy going to the hospital?" I demand, trying to keep the anxiety out of my voice as not to upset her any further than she could already be. "Mummy thinks she's having a mas-car-rage." Ella tells me. "Ok, thanks for telling me sweetie. I'm on my way home." I tell her and we sign off. "Let's go." I tell Silver. "No." She says suddenly. I freeze. "No?" I repeat. "No." She says flatly. Lily looks nervous and rapidly backs away. I face her. "And why is that?" I demand. "I just got with my other family! I'm not ready to leave them yet!" She protests. I frown. "Your mother is in going to the hospital as we speak. The same mother who decided to keep you as a teenager, unlike the father you are visiting!" I say, silently congratulating myself on the good point. "The past is the past. I live for the present." She said dismissively, waving me off. I gasped. "How could you be so cruel?! You're mother could be in danger and you refuse to go home!" I snapped. "Um, well, I could-uh, drive her home in a day or two. Yeah, visit my old friend and whatever." Lily mumbled. We both looked up at her. She gave us a defensive look and shrugged. I sniffed.

=================================================================================

SILVER'S P.O.V.

Dylan is gone. Lily and Mike will be driving me home in two days time. Don't get me wrong, I deeply care and am concerned about my mother but I sure as hell am not coming all the way to Alaska for a mere two or three days. I decide to call Melanie and see how our mom is. I retrieve my phone and dial her number. She doesn't answer. I sigh and throw my phone down. Now I feel really guilty about not going with Dylan. I hear footsteps approach from behind me. "I heard about what happened, Silver." My father says. I look over my shoulder to see him. "I'm glad you care that much. I hope she's ok. I deeply cared about your mother. I still do." He goes on. I nod. "I just feel so guilty insisting on staying here without your consent while my mother was being rushed to the hospital at the time." I confess. He nods knowingly. "Do you want to start heading home today?" He offers. I raise my eyebrows and blow a light raspberry. "Really? You're not even packed. Its an over twenty-four hour drive. Its two-three days." I respond. He mumbles something. "Eh, it won't take long to throw a few things together. We'll leave in an hour." He tells me and walks away.

======================================================================================

MIKE'S P.O.V.

I find my beautiful wife in our room already packing things for us and our kids. She notices my stare. "I overheard your offer. Everything's going to be taken care of." She explains. I nod. "Do you at least want some help?" I offered. "Neh." She answers. I saunter smoothly over to her. She turns her back on me and works over the piles of clothes she has built up so quickly. I tap her largely on the shoulder. She turns and faces me with an expectant look. I lock my hands around her waist and pull her close to my chest. I kiss her, to her obvious shock. She responds fairly quickly, though. When we break apart, she looks up at me, confused. "What was that for?" She wonders. I shrug. "Oh, nothing." I say. I then untangle myself from her and go to pack up the toothbrushes.