Chapter Fourteen

BECCA'S P.O.V.

   I blink open my eyes and the blurriness slowly starts to leave. The first thing I notice is white. I am lying in a very bland, white room. The second thing I notice are the thins hooked up to me. And the last thing I notice is Dr. Flannigan standing over me. "Becca." He says simply. "D-Dr. Flannigan? W-Why am I here?" I ask. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before answering. "You had a miscarriage, Rebecca. You lost the baby." He tells me. I suck in a loud, deep breath and I hear a gasp from beside me.I look to my left and see Melanie sitting in an unconfortable-looking chair next to my bed. "Mel?" I whisper. "I insisted on coming along. I was worried and frantic." She explains. "They let you in?" I murmur. She shrugs. "I'm very persuasive." She tells me. "You've been unconscious for a whole day." Dr. Flannigan says. "A whole day. A whole day my baby's been gone and I was the only one who didn't know about it." I say and sigh deeply. 

===================================================================================

   SILVER'S P.O.V.

   I squeeze into the back of Mike's truck, right between Charles and Kristen. Mike drums on the steering wheel and starts tinkering with the GPS. Lily comes running from the house and slides into the passenger's seat. "Are you finally ready?" Mike says flatly. Lily rolls her eyes and folds her arms over her chest. "Let's go!" Mike hollers and we take off.

=================================================================================

   We have been on the road for hours. We're currently on a rickety, long-ass bridge that has me scared straight. "Are you sure there wasn't an alternate route?" Lily demands, pressing her whole body against her seat. Mike-Dad shushes her. "Hush. I must focus!" He declares dramatically. "Daddy, I-um scared!" Kirsten announces. I wrap my arms around my half-sister. "Don't be afraid. Everything will be ok." I assure her. Kirsten whimpers. I glance over my shoulder at our brother. Charles is passed out. I hope not from fear. "EVERYTHING'S FINE! EVERYTHING'S FINE!" Mike-Dad shrieks as the car swerves dangerously close to the edge. "MIKE!" Lily squeaks. "Calm down, love." Mike hisses. Tears appear in the eyes of my sister. "Distract yourself. Close your eyes and count." I suggest. Kirsten stares at me, her face screaming 'sad'. "I'll count with you." I go on. Kirsten nods, lip quivering, and shuts her eyes. "One......two......." I start gently. Kirsten joins in. "Three........Four......" The car comes close to the edge. There really should be a barrier on a bridge this far off the ground. "Five.....six....." The car swerves close to the edge but this time my biological father cannot recover. We come off the bridge completely and we plunge towards the earth, three-hundred feet away. Everyone screams except me. I have never been much of a screamer. Kirsten keeps her eyes squeezed shut as she makes disturbing noises. I grab her. "Seven....Eight!" I screech at her. Mike and Lily reach for each other and the car clobbers against the ground. There is fire and smoke and then there is darkness.....swirling, swirling darkness.....sucking me down until I am no more.....

=============================================================================

   BECCA'S P.O.V.

   I can finally go home! I'm quite upset over my lost child. This is probably the worst grief I've ever had to experience in my life! Worst than when I found out I was pregnant at seventeen with Silver. The hospital recommended a support group but I really don't want to go. I prefer to suffer in silence nowadays.  No one ever warned me it would be this hard. I don't know what I would do if I lost anymore of my girls....

===============================================================================

   "I really don't think it's necessary that I leave in a wheelchair." I tell the nurse. He sighs. "Thank you for that incite, Miss. It's hospital protocol, though so hop on." He responds. I roll my eyes and take a seat on the contraption and fold my arms over my chest. 

==================================================================================

   I sit at my kitchen table alone, sipping my tea. I am told I appear dull and lifeless. I am not surprised. "No girls, you must leave your mother alone." I hear my husband tell our twins in the other room. I am grateful that I can go through this with him rather than alone. "Why?" Stella demands. "Because she is grieving. We all are." He explains gently. "Over what?" Stella presses. It occurs to me that we never told them about the baby. Did we? I can't remember. "Never you mind. I don't want you guys concerned." He tells them. The phone rings and I move like a zombie to answer it. "Hello?" I drone. "Rebecca Floare? Or at least that's your maiden name?" A demanding voice says over the phone. I fix my posture. "Speaking." I respond. "Mother of Silver Floare right?" They press. I start to get annoyed. "Yes." I say. "I'm so, so sorry....." They sigh. Anxiety is suddenly throwing itself at me in quick huge waves. "About what?" I charge. "I'm sorry, Miz Floare. Your daughter is dead." 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   I know that was short but whatever. If anything didn't seem logical in past or present chapters, please correct me so I can fix it. 

                                    Melly

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++