Chapter 9

Chapter 9: 

The countdown is starting. I stare into the Cornucopia, my eyes locked onto a sword that is high up on a rack. That is my only chance of survival, my only chance of winning. I stand, ready to run into the Cornucopia and risk my life for a sword. A sword that is meant for me. 

10..

My heartbeat is quickening, pounding loudly against my chest. I wonder if the tributes can hear it. 

9... 

My hands are shaking violently as if saying, "Run! Run!" 

8... 

Xavier. I think of Xavier and my mother. I promised to win this for them. 

7... 

I think of Rico and the last words he said to me. I'm like a brother to him, his only brother. 

6... 

I have to win. I can't though. 

5... 

My blood will be splattered onto the arena, mixing with the blood of other tributes. 

4... 

I hate the Capitol. How can they force us to kill each other? How can they enjoy watching our pained expressions as we are forced to partake in this sick game? Is it really a game or is it a sick way of showing everyone the power that the Capitol has? 

3..

How long will it take me to die? Will I last until the end? Probably not. I will most likely die instantly. 

2... 

Clove. Will she die? Will I have to kill her? Will I witness her death? Would I risk my own life for hers? 

1....

I wake with a jump, realising that it was just a horrible nightmare. Everything felt so real though. The anxiety, the hate, everything. Why did I have this horrible nightmare? Then I remember; today is the day of the games.

Today is the day I die

My heartbeat quickens as the door creaks open behind me. I turn around to face Avalius and my face turns white. 

"No! I won't go! Just kill me now, I won't last long anyway!" I scream at him, gripping onto anything I can find with as much power as I have. I will not go. I will not allow my family to witness me die. 

Everything around me goes blurry as frustrated tears fill my eyes. The last thing I see before I black out is the Peacekeepers running through the doorway where, only seconds ago, Avalius stood. 

Finally, it will all be over. The Capitol is going to kill me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Author's Note: 

I know, I know, I know. It's really short. I decided to stop it at that though, I was going to add on more but I didn't. :) I hope you liked this chapter, the next one will hopefully be up today or sometime next week. 

~This chapter is dedicated to AnneAlviar-Ventura for the AWESOME book cover they made! :) ~

-Emily :)