43.

"What if he hates me?" Were the first words out the man's mouth

"What if he hates me?" Were the first words out the man's mouth. His fingers were slightly jittery as he fixed his collar and Sydney didn't know whether to smile or roll her eyes. "I'm serious, Sydney, he has every damn reason to hate me!"

"I don't," She states simply, shrugging. "And he loves me, and wants what's best for me, so he'll be okay with you... Besides Dad, isn't Chandler supposed to be the nervous one?" She questioned from beside her father, small little Samuel on her lap. Allison and Axl were somewhere in the kitchen- Sydney had a feeling the two were gossiping more than actually preparing any meal. Their senses of humor had very quickly seemed to match when the siblings had first met the young woman. She was only nine years older than the twenty-two-year-old, so the generational proximity allowed a slight sense of unexpected comfort that Axl seemed thankful for.

Sydney liked Allison. She seemed funny and carefree and she made Kevin Evans a happy man. It was more than anyone could ask for, the glint in the redhead's eyes when she spoke of her husband. Sydney hadn't wanted to resent the woman, so she'd been more than glad to not have to. A part of her was scared that Allison Knott would remind her too much of a woman she'd already escaped, that she'd hold a fake promise of happiness to a man who'd spent too many years running. But the young woman seemed genuinely in love, and most importantly she seemed genuinely kind.

"I know but Axl said he's overprotective of you, so if he's holding grudges-" The blonde girl stopped smiling at the baby boy twirling the rings on her fingers around in her lap and raised her eyebrows at her father.

"He isn't. He wants me happy. Can you please trust that?" There was no edge to her voice, only a silent plea for everything to go okay. Chandler had been there the first time his girlfriend had met her new brother, but Kevin had been absent, stuck at the office at the time. So, the boy had yet to be reintroduced to Kevin, who he hadn't seen in over three years.

So, when the boy finally arrived from a set and into his own house, Kevin's nerves were higher than he'd like to admit. He felt stupid to want the approval of a teenager, but he knew how much the boy meant to his daughter. And if the two of them were both to stick around, they'd need to get along.

The boy greeted him quickly, a small smile coating his face, one arm around Sydney's shoulders as he shook her father's hand. "Nice to see you again, Chandler," The latter seemed quite relaxed, and Kevin realized the eighteen-year-old had no reason not to be.

He didn't have to impress him- at this point, his relationship with Sydney was more solidified than Kevin's and hers. He was the newcomer in Sydney's life, not Chandler. This realization didn't help Kevin's nerves.

But the smile on Sydney's face as she watched her boyfriend pick up her little brother did. Seeing the look in her eyes as met his gaze, leaning her head on his shoulder as she asked him about his day, the way she leaned into him as she laughed at a random joke Axl called out from the other room. If Sydney loved this boy this visibly there was a good reason behind it.

And when Chandler found himself starting a conversation with Kevin, the older man felt his anxieties evaporate him completely. Until the actor muttered four tiny words. "I love your daughter," He started, Kevin nodding.

"I can tell," He responded, frowning softly at the determination in the young adult's gaze.

"So, I want her happy." He continued. "I've known her for most of my life. She's cried a lot about you over the years. That's never gonna happen again. Okay?" It wasn't a threat and he didn't seem mad, but it was still intimidating.

"I should be the one giving you that speech, correct?" Kevin questioned, a tentative smile etching itself onto his lips. Chandler kept a smile on his face, his tone leveled, and his eyes on his giggling girlfriend as he replied.

"You weren't here to," Kevin's face fell. "You're here now, though. That's what matters to her. So, it matters to me. Don't mess it up." He patted Sydney's father's shoulder softly as the man slowly composed himself, exhaling. He trusted the boy, now, if he cared enough about Sydney to issue this slight warning.

"I'll do my best not to." Chandler smiled again, making sure to clear any tension between the two before they both turned back to face Kevin Evans' family.

_

i'm so emotional syd rlly has it all rn??? a family she loves, a boyfriend who'd do anything for her, a beautiful career i'm so proud of her

i'm posting one last chapter, skipping ahead to february for her 18th bday and then this is over. thank you for reading this fanfic, for being so kind to me and supportive, for loving sydney and chandler so much. i've deadass been writing her story for 2 years and it makes me so emotional to let her go aww. but that ain't the end of her or my chandler fics bc i rlly can't help myself (AND MAYBE THAT SPINOFF I STILL DK but i'm def writing more chandler fanfics lmao).

so i hope your new year's eve is going well and i hope ur along for the ride with me in 2018!! ALSO I'M SIXTEEN AS OF 2 DAYS AGO HELL YEAH

happy 2018 y'all i really do love you <3