Keep your friends close...

After a breakfast of plantain pancakes, it's Travis's and my turn to wash dishes.

"Sorry I was so prickly yesterday," I start out as we sort the sticky plates.

His eyebrows rise. "That's okay."

"You hit a few sore spots, that's all." He doesn't comment, waiting for me to elaborate. "It was ... difficult adjusting to a new school."

"I imagine being yanked out of your comfort zone isn't the easiest thing to deal with." He walks over carrying a stack of cups as I run more hot water to rinse them. "And, again, I'm sorry for giving you a hard time back then." He bumps his hip against mine as he stands beside me. "But how else was I supposed to get your attention?"

I'm not sure how to respond to that.

"So, are you excited about seeing the frogs today?" I ask instead, shifting gears.

"Can't wait." He looks at me with a warm smile, handing me a dishrag. We pass the rest of the time in civil conversation, and I find myself wondering if Travis and I actually are becoming friends.

***

Today at the center, it's my group's turn with the animals. Luckily Travis and Steven cleaned out the cages the other day, so all Juan, Harp and I have to do is make sure everyone's bellies are full. We're walking up to the habitats to feed the birds when a sexy, feminine voice calls out, "Hola."

We look around, but there's nobody here but us.

"Hola," the voice says again.

Juan laughs. "It's the bird."

We are standing in front of the parrots' cage. One cocks his or her head and climbs down the fence using its claws to get to eye level.

"Hola," I respond. It's followed by another parrot and the two poke their beaks through the wires. They're a vibrant red and blue, with bright yellow heads. Each has a tiny band encircling its leg.

"Hola," they repeat.

"They sound exactly like Lola," Harp says. "Hey, do you think she's as in to Mr. A as he is into her?"

"Definitely," I say. "As if she didn't know her way to our villa. How long has she lived in the area?"

"You women and your feminine wiles." Juan shakes his head and walks over to Harp, procuring the keys to the cage he received earlier from the wily woman herself.

"We should try to set them up on a date," I say, then am struck by a thought. "It would be perfect if we could get him to take her out Friday night. He'd be so distracted he'd never know we were gone."

"About that," Harp says. "Are we sure it's a good idea? If we get caught, we're putting our entire trip in jeopardy." She picks up some seed and holds her hand out to the Lola birds. Sticking out their short stubby tongues, they eat ravenously from her outstretched palm.

"Then it'll be the frogs who suffer," Juan agrees.

Harp and Juan look at me. I feel like I need to reassure them. After all, this is who I'm supposed to be: popular party girl.

"It'll be fun and make a great story," I point out. "And you'll probably never get a chance to do something like this again."

"Great story," one of the parrots squawks in agreement.

I laugh. "See, even he thinks it's a good idea."

"I guess." Harp looks a bit more relaxed as she brushes her hands off.