Spa Day

I look in the mirror hanging on the tree outside. A green alien stares back, blue eyes the only recognizable feature on my face. The mud's drying fast, turning green, tightening and making it difficult to move or talk without it cracking. After smearing mud all over our bodies while trying to avoid trashing our bathing suits, we stand sentinel still, arms away from our trunks as we dry.

"The mud is drawing toxins from the body," Lola says, barely moving her lips.

"It feels really cool." I try not to move my jaw. It's a weird sensation. My body feels heavy and tingly all over.

"How often do you come here?" Chrissy asks Lola, her mouth a thin slash across her face.

"I try to come every week," she says.

"It's so beautiful here," Kiki says, and for once I have to agree with her.

We'd walked across a wooden bridge spanning a bubbling stream, tall green trees and flamboyant flowers blooming everywhere. Hundreds of bird species fly from treetop to treetop, singing and calling to one another. Inside the grounds are pools of different sizes and color. The biggest is filled with steaming water the color of rust.

"The color is due to the different minerals," Lola says when she sees me eyeing it.

"My mom and her friends would pay a fortune for this stuff," I say about the mud.

"Why don't you bring some home for her? A jar only costs two dollars," Lola says. Even covered in mud she looks stunning.

"Seriously? I could repackage this stuff and sell it for a hundred bucks a pop," I say. "Organic volcanic mineral mud? People would go crazy for it."

"Maybe that can be your new business if Berkeley doesn't work out for you," Chrissy says. I give her a look. Talk about having the whole passive aggressive thing down. Though ... her idea is not a bad one.

Lola misses the sarcasm. "You're not going to college, Jessica?"

"Um, no, I'll probably go to college," I say, uncomfortable discussing my personal failings in front of two people who probably take great pleasure in them. "Just not sure if it'll be Berkeley."

"But Berkeley is a good school, no?" Lola asks.

"One of the best for the program I was interested in," I admit. And somewhere Messy Jessie had once badly wanted to be. I'd gone with Gigi and my dad a few times when I was younger and fell in love with the campus, not to mention California's gorgeous weather.

"It is so important to go to school. They were the best years of my life. It was when I discovered who I really was as a person," Lola says. "What makes you consider not going?"

"Well, none of my friends are going," I say, "and my boyfriend's sticking around home as well." I don't mention that he just dumped me.

"And he is worth it?"

Once I'd thought so. I look down at the dried mud that's cracking in places. "None of it matters unless I pass biology anyway."

"Jess is here to do a report for extra credit," Chrissy says. "Mr. A's being super nice, letting her come on this trip. She's not even a member of our club."

"Is that why you wanted to ask me questions about la rana dorada?" Lola asks.

I look at her, confused.

"Golden frog." Kiki rolls her eyes.

"Yes, for the report," I say.

"Then ask away. I will do everything to help you pass and go to university."