Happily Ever After is Just Beginning

Lola stands by the golden frog exhibit, smiling up at Mr. A as he gazes down at her, open adoration on his face. The frogs are safely back in their exhibit following their adventure, after being closely inspected and pronounced fine. Both seem happy to be home. They hop around their waterfall, soaking up the misty spray.

Lola leans forward and says something to Mr. A. He flushes to the roots of his hair. She turns to us as we circle the glass exhibits, getting one last look at the creatures we came to help. Well, that everyone else had come to help. I just kinda fell into it. I look across the room at Travis. And him.

"I want to thank you all for your hard work and time helping us at Níspero, especially here at our amphibian ark." Lola looks around at each of us. Juan has his camcorder in hand and is moving around to get the best shots.

"It is with your support and awareness about what is happening to these animals that allows for our best chance in saving them."

I look over at the golden frogs. Typically they hide under leafy foliage on a rock. Today, as if sensing our departure, the two of them sit contentedly beside their little stream, basking in the warmth of their artificial sunlight.

I feel depressed. This is quickly becoming the reality of all too many species. Confined to special exhibits, on display to the masses that come to ooh and ahh, who feel a quick pang of regret at their loss in the wild but then quickly forget, going back to their homes and lives.

Back in the 'real' world, it's so easy to become bubble wrapped in indifference.

I will not be like that, I vow silently to the frogs. I won't forget.

"So please, go now and educate others," Lola says, "with your stories, your reports, your films, so they can know what is happening here and all over the world. It is not too late for others to make a difference."

Juan turns from Lola's pretty face and zooms in on the frogs.

"Adiós, amigos," he says softly, and turns off the camera.

We're subdued as we walk around the zoo, saying goodbye to our favorite animals. Chrissy and Kiki are especially quiet. Their remorse at endangering the frogs hangs over them like the smoke back at the compound. They were berated by Mr. A for being irresponsible, careless and reckless. He even mentioned something about possible suspension. But I don't think anything he said made them feel any worse than they already did.

Carlita, Hector and Enrique shrugged off the fire like it happens every day.

"That's not the worst blaze we've seen," Enrique boasted. Aside from some fire and smoke damage to our balconies, and Chrissy and Kiki's bedroom, the rest of the property is intact. We aren't sure yet how the tree will fare.

"I can't believe I completely freaked out like that," Harp says, glum, as we stand in front of the crocodile cage. "I'm such a wuss."

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Juan says, patting her on the back. He leaves his hand there and her face reddens. I smile at the ground. Finally.

"Hey, Jess." Travis hobbles up to us. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure," I say, my nerves jumping. We leave Harp and Juan cooing at the baby caimans like they hatched them personally.

Travis and I haven't had a chance to talk about anything since the fire. Or since that kiss on my bed. I have no idea if he's still angry at me for taking off with Enrique, or how he feels, or what's going to happen with us, or anything at all. If anything at all.

I follow him to the bike shed. "Where are we going?"

"Surprise non-date," he says as he grabs a bike. "You still owe me one."