Moving In

"A butch lesbian, huh?" Aidan turned the radio on.

"Yeah," I replied, coming back into the car.

"Sounds badass."

"Ha. Thanks a lot, Aidan."

"No, I'm not kidding though."

"So what about you?" I asked, rolling up my window.

"Promise you won't tell mom and dad?"

"What?"

He sighed. "I'm bi. I've hooked up with some girls, sure, but I've also had my fair share of guys along the way."

"Yeah, that's chill."

"You serious?"

"If you had a sister and best friend that was butch what are the chances of her not accepting you for being something similar?"

Aidan smiled. "Thanks, Kacii. Really."

***AIDAN'S CONDO***

"Here." Aidan helped unload my bags out of the trunk of his car. He placed them right in front of the door of his condo before coming back to lock the car. Aidan stopped for a second and asked, "You coming?"

"For what, may I ask?"

He laughed to himself. "Of course, the grand move-in and tour of my condo."

"Why should I be excited?"

"I'm sure you'll love it." He grinned, unlocked the front door of his large condo.

The interior of the house was nothing like what the exterior suggested of it. The beautifully painted walls in the house depicted of tropical beaches and palm trees, the living room boasted a large leather couch and vintage Victorian furnishings all around, and the kitchen was loaded with multiple cooking stoves and an oven the size of my whole room. The best part, however, was the unbelievable master bedroom, where Aidan said I could crash. He took one of the crappier bedrooms on the first floor, not because he liked it, but only because he hated the balconies on the second and third floors.

"Whoa. Since when have you had enough pocket change to afford this bad boy?"

"Heh. I found some people I knew. Shit like that got me here. By the way, sis, you should get a drink."

"Yeah, sure. I can find some bar nearby or something."

"Cool. Oh and by the way," Aidan grabbed his keys then continued, "gay bar downtown. Take an uber. Fondoli Bar."

"Thanks." Once he was out the door, I rapidly typed "Fondoli Bar" into Google Maps and pinned it down. Before I searched for an uber, I dashed to my room to get changed. I quickly threw on a pair of soccer pants, a plain t-shirt and tied a flannel around my waist. On my way out the door, I swiftly reached for my phone and found a not-so-sketchy uber to take me downtown. "Perfect," I said to myself, running outside with both shoes barely on and locking the door.

Suddenly, a navy blue Chevy pulled up in front of our house. A woman rolled the window down, and asked, "I see you need a ride?"

"Yeah," I answered, putting my phone in my pocket as I entered her car.

"So, where you from?" Her accent sounded like a mixture of Southern and Portuguese dialect. She turned left and drove down the street.

"Mississippi." I checked out my disheveled, short brown hair in the side mirror.

"Cool. Used to live there with my boyfriend. He was a screw-up. I'm Delphanie, call or text me any time you need a ride. I'm from Alabama, by the way. Went to some trashy college there, but really grew up in a Hispanic house. Had a Peruvian mother, Portuguese father."

You guessed it, Kacii, you guessed it.

She continued as she made a hard turn to the right, "How 'bout you? What's your deal?"

"Eh, wouldn't say I was any different. I was pretty much always living in Jersey. I grew up there, learned how to drive there, yeah shit like that. But a couple months back I moved to Mississippi because of my mother's demand for better weather. Oh, and my dad's Spanish and my mom's Chinese. I always grew up as a kid who was constantly made fun of for looking different."

"Nah, I'd say you're a sweet little darling. Pretty tall though. Very masculine. But really, you're pretty; don't let anyone else say anything about you that shows otherwise."

"Thanks, Delphanie."

"Don't worry about it. And, my friends call me Delphi." Delphi grinned, helping me out the car as I saw the large, rainbow letters above me spell out "Fondoli Bar."

We waved goodbye as she steadily drove away.

Just as I was about to enter, a man stopped me in my tracks. "ID please, miss."

"Ah, yes." I wasn't entirely used to the whole "ID" thing since I first got my ID last fall when I turned 21. I showed the card to him as he opened the door to a palace full of rainbow flags, disco balls, and people dancing.