At Last

"Well...um..." Elle started as we exited the movie theatre and strode past excited kids coming in right after to watch some random old kid's movie. "That was...uh...fun."

"Um...yeah," I replied nervously, looking down at my Chucks and tugging at both ends of my sleeves.

"So...uh..." 

We stopped in front of the concession stand and finally looked each other in the eye ever since that one scene in the movie. The setting was intense and only staring at her dark pupils for my life wasn't going to help make it seem any better. I knew I shouldn't have done anything I had done in there: it just didn't seem worth it. All this time, I've been trying to get her out of my mind. And all that ended in was a kiss. A good  kiss, in fact. But besides that fact that Elle was a good kisser, I managed to let one entire month of ignoring and neglecting go to waste. What was I here for anyways?

"I have to go." I mumbled under my breath, speed-walking away as I whipped out my phone to call Aidan.

"Wait—don't leave." Elle grabbed ahold of my arm before I could go anywhere.

"What do you want this to be, huh? A stupid cliché love story again?" I almost shouted in Elle's face, astonishing her.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Just let me explain. We can talk it over frozen yogurt." Elle magically pulled out a gift card for "Mari's Frozen Yogurt" out of her pocket and smiled suggestively.

"You've already had your damn chance, Elle. Next thing I want is to be in a so-called 'relationship' with a married woman." I tried pulling away, but her grip was stronger.

"Please, Kacii. I know you can't believe that I would do such I thing."

I kept pulling.

"And I know you know that when you met me that I didn't seem like the cheating type."

I pulled harder.

"But at the end of the day, would I do such a thing to you?"

I almost pulled her over before I stopped. The tears almost flooded my eyes. I dared not look at her, for all I knew, she could've been lying again. "What a mess. A web of lies." I wiped my eyes using the sleeve of my flannel.

"Please, give me a second chance."

I looked over at her after all the tears had been shed. "Frozen yogurt it is."

***MARI'S FROZEN YOGURT, 11:10 PM***

We drove over to Mari's Frozen Yogurt and parked there. I took out my phone, realizing that Aidan would probably get mad if I didn't tell him about our plans to go get frozen yogurt. Sure enough, he had already texted me about it.

-Aidan. it's already 11...where are you?

-Kacii. the movie finished at 11. do you mind if i go get some frozen yogurt? got lots of relationship stuff to talk about...

-Aidan. ...

-Kacii. please Aidan, it's really important.

-Aidan. ...if you get me some :)

-Kacii. sure. thanks.

-Aidan. nah, no problemo. devon and i are planning to binge until one anyways.

-Kacii. okay, see you then.

Elle and I entered the store and instantly dashed to go get started. The next thing we knew, we had two large cups filled up to the rim with frozen yogurt, fruits, sprinkles, candies, and a shit ton of other toppings. When Elle was paying using her gift card, I realized that I had to get a yogurt for Aidan. 

"Crap. Can I get one for Aidan?" I begged.

"Yeah, sure. You probably want to get it later though, it'll melt if it's out here for a long time," she said, putting her frozen yogurt down on a nearby table. 

I did the same. "Good point. Okay then." 

We both sat down and ate our yogurts in utter silence. The shop itself was not as quiet as a regular frozen yogurt shop would be at 11:20 at night. Since Mari's Frozen Yogurt closes at 12 AM, people usually are there until the last minute.

"So..." Elle tried to start the conversation again. "We didn't come here for nothing."

I exhaled deeply, dreading the moment completely. "I know, I know. Now's a good time to spill."

"See, if you trust me, you'd know that Alena and I are most definitely not dating. It's as easy as 1,2,3. We. Are. Not. Dating. Nor have I proposed whatsoever. End of story." Elle continued to eat her yogurt after she finished talking.

"I'm just...confused. If you aren't lying, then why would Alena want to lie to me? What does she have against me?"

"I don't know, that's an easy problem you need to find that answer to. Just ask her. I know her well enough to know that that manipulative bi*** won't talk unless you ask her to. Or else, she'll just keeping blabbing lies. White lies, bad lies: they're all the same to her."

"Wait. What do you mean that you 'know her well enough'?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

Elle took a deep breath, shook her head, then confessed quietly and embarrassingly, "I dated her for like 2 weeks a while back..."

"Ha! You dated her?" I roared with laughter. "What stupid, crazy..."

"Me, okay? Me! I was delusional back then. Who could blame me? I was only a pathetic, naive 18-year-old know-it-all. She was all over me. I took her out once on some crappy date, but she loved it. She fell for me instantly. It was horrible. Alena...was...just so clingy. That ended with me just calling it quits. Ever since, we haven't talked whatsoever. I've dated so many girls from those days and forward. I just...can't comprehend why she's after you compared to the other girls I've loved and hated...it just doesn't tie up..."

"She's jealous of me." The thought quivered in my head like a feather in the wind. "I...never had anyone be jealous of...me...like that  before."

We sat in silence again before Elle looked at me and held my hand.

"Kacii, she has every damn reason in the world to be jealous of you. You're so sweet, kind, funny, and additionally—you're a strong fighter. Honestly every single girl out there is nothing compared to you." She lowered her voice and leaned in a bit closer. "And guess what?" 

"What?" 

"She's jealous of that fact that I love you." She smiled that lovely smile I have been craving for in my life for the past month.

The words flowed out of my mouth naturally. "I love you too," I whispered back.