Desolation

***AIDAN'S CONDO, 4 PM***

I took another uber back home and stormed into the condo once I arrived, surprising Devin, who was busy munching on something in the kitchen.

"Whoa, whoa, Kacii! Wait up!" He cried, chasing me up the stairs to my room on the second floor.

I completely isolated myself from any other surroundings by simply just locking the door of my bedroom. After that, I removed the frame from my window before propping it open so that the wind could come in freely. Tears as clear as spring water rolled down the centers of my cheeks, washing away the most bitter and sweet of memories with Elle. From the first day we met to our classy date, the tension between us only has risen as the days have counted themselves off. I sighed heavily as I climbed out the window and sat on the flat roof of the condo, looking back at the sparkly, crystal waters that splashed endlessly.

I certaintly couldn't believe it: the likelihood of my heart being broken by my first girlfriend only days after we had just met. For most people, their first love is the one person that can be their shoulder to cry on, their sole comforter, and their loving heroine. For me, alas, I can say that my first love was none other than a two-sided affair. Only, my lover used me. I, on the other hand, learned from my stupid mistakes as to my benefit.

There was a strange knocking on the door. I knew who it was. I didn't even bother to answer. But then a memory bounced into my head—what Morgan had said. I recalled her loving words: "Too bad it gets worse, if you did what I did. Moping around."

At that moment, it struck me—all I was doing was moping around, not giving a shit about the thousands of people around me. Elle was only a fish in a large pond. But something still held me back. My longing for her soft kisses and absolute sass destroyed my existence. I needed to talk to someone—and fast. I darted out the door after unlocking it, accidentally falling into Devin's arms.

"Kacii! You alright?"

I scratched my head. "Might've just broken up with my girlfriend, but other than that, I'm good." He didn't seem fully convinced, so I backed myself up. "Seriously, I'm over that sorry ass. But I need your help, please. Moving on is not as easy as people say."

He grinned. "You called the perfect person to help you, sister."

***5 PM***

"So what's the story?" Devin asked, burying his face in a mouthful of sherbet.

"My ex started dating me when she already had a fiancée."

"Wait, what?" He put down his bowl of sherbet. "That bi*** did what?"

"Dated me when she had a fiancée?"

"Is that piece of shit the one that asked you to some crappy date next to a damn fountain?"

"Whoa, calm down. But wait. How do you know that?"

"Honey," Devin rested his hand on my left arm. "You're apart of the damn Macias family. Gossip spreads all too quickly around here."

"Oh, but that girl was Alena, my ex's fiancée."

"Damn. This is better than that one vampire movie."

Another thought suddenly invaded my mind. It was of the first time I met Alena, when she had said: "they call her Vamp for a reason. She's like a vampire. You won't break her. She will break you." "Wait, Devin. I think she was after me this whole time."

"What makes you think that?" He was back to stuffing his mouth with Piña Colada flavored sherbet again.

"She basically said not to mess with Elle. Something about her being a vampire."

"Ooh, sounds sketch. Me likey."

"I don't know what she would do to me. I'm just... I'm just in a weird spot." I inhaled the tears that were pleading to fall out of my eyes.

"Oh no, babe."

"Some days," I gulped then continued, "I wish I never had came out to my parents. I wouldn't be here. I wish... I wish I were straight." I couldn't believe anything I was saying. The world after that seemed like it were nothing more than just a blur of events flashing one after another.