Chapter 34: Lies and Schemes

No way.

No. Freaking. Way.

I felt my stomach drop at my Uncle's words as I looked up at him in front of me, praying inwardly that there wasn't any truth behind what he had just said. That this was just him trying to be his occasional funny self and that he was just joking when he had said that Thor hadn't managed to lift the hammer. But my heart sank as I saw that there wasn't a flicker of amusement anywhere on his face, and that his mouth was set into a firm line of seriousness, causing my heart to sink as I realized that he hadn't been lying.

I didn't believe it. Or more so, I really didn't want to believe. Because if what Clint was saying was in fact true...

Then I had gotten punched in the face for absolutely nothing.

The left side of my face with the bruises running across it seemed to throb even more painfully than before as this realization dawned upon me. It took every ounce of my willpower to not reach up with my hand to prob at it in an attempt to soothe the pain, knowing that doing so wouldn't cause for the pain to subside, but rather instead to cause even more of it. A howl of frustration clawed it's way up my throat at the news, though I managed to clench my jaw shut in an attempt to keep it from escaping from past my lips.

What had gone wrong? I had let Thor punch me so that he could get to the hammer, as I had known that he had been perfectly capable of fending off the rest of the guards that were trying to prevent him from reaching it. Hell, the multiple guards that he had knocked out with a single blow before I had managed to actually reach him in the tunnel was enough proof at that. So reaching it had been fine: but why hadn't he been able to lift it? If he really was the God of Thunder and the hammer really did belong to him, then why didn't he lift it? From what I remember from the small amount of research that I had completed earlier this morning, mjolnir could be lifted and wielded by Thor because he was worthy-

But was he though?

I actually feel my eyes widen slightly in shock as a piece of the puzzle that I hadn't really taken note off before fell into place. In all the time that we had spent with Thor, we hadn't exactly asked Thor where he had come from. Or we had, but we didn't exactly believe him when he had told us that he had traveled through the Bifrost: after all we hadn't believed that he really was the God of Thunder. Or I hadn't until at least half an hour ago.

And while I hadn't necessarily had the time to talk about what it was that he was doing here on Earth, it didn't take me too long too figure it out-or at least, one possible answer. Thor had after all been dropping clues unknowingly about what had led him here...

The fact that he had at least tried to return home to Asgard the first night that we had met him. Him walking around, looking up to the sky and demanding 'Heimdall' to open the Bifrost-probably so that he could get back to his home. I can clearly recall him asking us where he was as well, suggesting to me that even if he did travel along the Bifrost here that he didn't know where he had ended up. Not to mention that he hadn't been too thrilled the next day when he had looked up to the sky and had figured out that he was on Earth, or 'Midgard' as he had called it. And from the research I had completed, I was under the impression that whether Thor went he bought his hammer with him. Yet here he was in the middle of the desert, lost, confused and hammerless, though when he had discovered where his hammer was he had instantly dropped everything he had been doing to rush and retrieve it, only to not be able to lift it when he tried...

So he was here not on his free will but for some other reason entirely. And I was willing to bet that it had something to do with the fact that he couldn't lift the hammer...

"You don't seem entirely thrilled by that," Clint notes from where he stands in front of me, interrupting my thoughts as his green eyes flickered over my face clearly studying me, wanting to see my reaction from his news.