Chapter 68: Surprise!

A huge and massive thank you to the talented Cali for creating such a beautiful and badass cover for the Seventh Avenger! Thank you for creating this and allowing me to use it as the official cover of this book!

The hallways are eerily quiet as I slowly move down them. While they had been bustling with people talking among themselves only hours ago, there are very few people that I pass now. Those that I do all wear miserable expressions on their faces and barely mumble a word to anyone else. Most of the other SHIELD agents on the hellicarrier are either repairing the damage done to the ship or are in the infirmary. My uncle's attack had left many people seriously wounded. And a dozen lives have been lost as well. So it's no surprise to me when I can't find a single smile on the faces of the few agents that I happen to pass. There isn't an ounce of happiness to be seen, and part of the reason why is none other than the man that I'm on my way to see.

Fury had called an emergency meeting for us four remaining Avengers fifteen minutes ago. Hill had also been called in, leading me to believe that Fury wanted to discuss our next move. Loki had slipped from our fingertips, and with him, he had taken his sceptre and Ava. With Bruce and Thor nowhere to be found either, Fury is desperate. Loki was possibly days or hours away from unleashing his army on earth, and Fury wanted to stop him before that happened. I know that Tony had gone to the meeting, and I don't doubt that Steve did either. I know for a fact that Nat didn't though. She's too busy looking after Clint to leave him for a meeting. Fury can always catch her up on what it is that she misses.

But Fury is insane if he honestly thinks that I would go anywhere near him right now.

Though I am nowhere near as furious as I had been half an hour ago, I would be lying if I said that I have calmed down. Anger still boils beneath my surface and my hands a hard fists by my side. I'm very tempted to turn back around and march straight back to the punching bag to let it all out. But the thought of Clint awake and seemingly back to his regular self prevents me from doing so. I've been waiting far too long to see him again. I sure as hell am not going to pass up an opportunity to do so now.

But while a part of me is eager to see him, I can't deny that there's also a part of me that is petrified about facing him now. Especially after everything that has transpired in the past few hours in regards to me. How can I tell him that I was the daughter of Taskmaster? How can I walk into his room and inform him that my father is a fugitive of SHIELD and killed dozens of agents? It was a secret that Clint didn't even know, and I can almost guarantee that he will be shocked by the news. And most likely disappointed as well.

And disappointment from Clint is something that I can't hope to handle.

But it is something that I have no choice but to face. I can't avoid Clint forever, and I am more desperate to see him now than worry about what he thought of me. It's this desperation that manages to keep me from moving forward, instead of turning around and retreating in the other direction. But the sight of the familiar red-headed assassin leaning against the wall across from Clint's room, causes me to come to a cautious halt.