Chapter 62: God of Mischief

I keep my eyes glued to Thor as he stared down at the photo on the screen in front of us. For the last minute or so he had looked nowhere else but there, with a tenderness that had me smiling ever so slightly. Though he had wanted to discuss Jane and her current whereabouts, I didn't have exact answers for him. I hadn't spoken to Jane for months, so I didn't know whether or not she was still down in New Mexico or if she had returned to England to visit her mother.

The fact that I didn't know where exactly she was seemed to upset him. He was afraid that Loki would do something to harm her, as he had promised Thor that he would when he had first returned to Asgard almost two years ago. This revelation had me joining him in his panic, but before I had the chance to reach for my phone and call Jane, Coulson had suddenly appeared beside us and told us that there was nothing to worry about: Jane was safe.

Only a few moments later, he had quickly pulled Thor and me over to one of the free computers below the ledge where Fury usually stood. Quickly taping away at the keyboard while Thor and I anxiously waited behind him, he finally pulled up Jane's profile and a map of Norway beside it. The second that her face appeared on the screen in front of us, Thor visibly relaxed as the tension left his shoulders. A fond smile had crept onto his face at the sight and had remained there until now.

"As soon as we learned that Loki took Dr Selvig, we moved Jane Foster," He informs us. As a sigh of relief escapes past my lips at the news, he continues, "We've got an excellent observatory in Traunsee. She, along with her intern Darcy Lewis, was asked to consult there very suddenly yesterday. Handsome fee, private plane, very remote. They'll be safe."

"Thank you," Thor and I both mutter simultaneously as he closes the file once more. When Jane's face disappears from sight, the God of Thunder turns to face me with a more hopeful expression on his face. "I now doubt that Loki will be able to find her. Not if she is under SHIELD's protection and he is locked in the cage."

Despite their reassurances, a part of me still felt unsettled. Turning to Coulson, I ask, "This is on SHIELD's database, yes?" When he nods his head, I continue, "As Ava pointed out before: even though Loki can't do much here, it doesn't mean that Clint or Selvig won't be continuing his work for him."

Phil seemed to pick up on exactly it was that I was implying. "If you're concerned with the possibility of your uncle having access to Miss Foster's files, then you have nothing to worry about. As soon as he was compromised, Hill had Agent Quill block him from every one of our systems while you were in New York. With her computer skills being as highly advanced as they are, I can assure you that your friends' whereabouts will remain unknown to him."

Another sigh of relief emits from the back of my throat as I silently praised my genius of a friend. I turn to see where it was that I had last seen her talking with Fury, only to discover that she was nowhere to be found. Only Nat and Fury remained, murmuring things quietly with one another that I couldn't quite hear. In his hand, he held a file with only two pieces of paper in it. I was too far away to see what exactly the file was about, though judging from the looks on their faces, it wasn't good.

"It is no accident that Loki took Selvig," Thor says from where he still stands beside me, his words instantly dragging my attention away from Nat and Fury and to him instead. When he sees that I was focusing once more, he continues, "I believe that he may have required a scientist, though I do believe that he took Selvig to anger me. I dread what he plans for him once he's done. Erik is a good man."

I nod in agreement as Phil replies, "He talks about you a lot. You changed his life. You changed everything around here."

A troubled frown etches itself onto the God's face at this. "They were better as they were. We pretend on Asgard that we're more advanced but... but we come here like battling Bilchsteim."