FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
The Escape

MAE AND ARIS followed rapidly behind Thomas as the trio made their way back to his room. Janson was coming for Thomas and his friends and they didn't know how much time they'd have left.

Thomas arrived to his room and pushed the hatch harshly with a grunt, causing it to fly across the floor. The boys jumped on their feet in surprise as they glanced underneath the bed.

"Thomas!" Frypan called as the brunet climbed out from under the bunk.

"We gotta go! We gotta go, right now!" Thomas declared as he ran to the door.

Mae climbed out the vent and stood at the back of the room, staring at the floor. Frankie. Rachel. The two names spun in her mind as she heard their voices in her head. She couldn't save them. She couldn't. Aris stood next to her, trying to comfort her but he was just as shocked and scarred as she was.

The girl drowned out the noise the other boys made while Thomas wouldn't stop telling them that they needed to leave, growing more and more anxious by the second. Mae stood quietly, guilt eating away at her as she clenched her fists.

Thomas ignored their questions, so Minho and Frypan resorted to Mae and Aris. "Mae, what the hell happened?" Minho asked.

Mae shook her head, managing to get one statement out. "We never escaped." She responded dryly. Minho's eyes widened before he turned around to face Thomas.

"Thomas, can you just calm down and talk to us?" Mae heard Newt exclaim.

"She's still alive." Thomas answered while tying a bed sheet around the door handle and a nearby pipe.

"Who's she?" Frypan asked. "Teresa?"

"No." Thomas denied. "Ava!"

"Ava?" Newt inquired but Thomas just continued to grunt while tightening the bed sheet round the handle. "Will you just turn around and talk to us?"

"It's WCKD!" Thomas screamed, snapping his head around to face his friends. A silence fell upon the group. "It's still WCKD. It's always been WCKD!"

Mae held herself together, taking a deep breath. She'd have to mourn and grieve later, now wasn't the time for her feelings. But then again, was it ever? She rushed over to help Thomas with the mattress he attempted to carry by himself. The two pushed it against the door hard and the girl stepped away. Mae knew it wouldn't make a difference. WCKD had guns and they had a mattress.

"Thomas, what did you see?" Newt questioned, his voice raspy and oddly calm as he leaned into his friend.

After a short and blunt explanation, the entire group made their way through the vents, while Aris shouted directions. Thomas was the first to climb out, the rest of the group behind him. Mae came out last and took a deep breath as she glanced down the long hallway they had now entered.

"Let's go! Let's go!" Thomas beckoned, moving his hand back and forth in attempt to hurry the group.

"You guys go ahead. There's something I gotta do." Aris revealed, standing by the vent.

Mae pushed her way between Thomas and Minho. "What the hell are you talking about? Are you stupid? Do you wanna get yourself killed?"

"Trust me, it's important." The younger boy tried to persuade before turning to the others. "You guys wanna get out of here, right? Just go. Mae, go with them."

Before Mae could follow him, Winston spoke up. "I'll go with him."

"Okay, Winston, go!" Thomas exclaimed.