SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
Broken City

          ANGER. FEAR. SADNESS. That's all Mae felt while Jorge led the group through the wrecked city. She glanced down to her arm and rubbed the back of her head with a sigh. Within the few days they had been away from WCKD, Mae was in more physical pain than she thought she'd be, but it was all worth it if it meant they would never find her again.

"Try not to bring too much attention to yourselves." Jorge advised. "People around here hate Munies like you, try act you belong here."

"Well, that's reassuring." Mae grumbled under her breath.

The group huddled close together, just wanting to get out of the streets. People passed by, not sparing one glance at them. Their clothes were old, dirty and tattered– more tattered than Brenda's. Dirt and mud caked their faces, their faces void of emotion.

Teresa walked alongside Mae, a worried look in her eyes as she walked. Her head snapped in different directions, she was on edge. Mae's eyebrows knitted together as she turned to the blue eyed girl.

"Thomas is alive, stop worrying." Mae had no idea who she was trying to convince, herself or Teresa.

"How do you know that?" Teresa inquired, there was no bitterness or accusation in her tone, but genuine curiosity.

Mae huffed. "Because from what I've seen the past few days I've know him, he always throws himself in danger and comes out alive. He's fine."

"He'd be with us if it wasn't for Brenda." The blue eyed girl hissed quietly.

"Teresa, he's okay."

Teresa didn't respond, but merely chewed on her bottom lip as she fidgeted with her fingers. Mae couldn't be asked to say anything else, so she just settled on continuing to walk quietly next to the girl.

A loud crashing sound broke out near and Mae jumped. She turned to her right to see a trash bin had been knocked over by kids who couldn't have been older than thirteen, who scrummaged through the rubbish. Mae couldn't help but think of the dream she had about the little girl and the breath caught in her throat. She had done her best to try and forget about it, but it seemed like the entire universe wanted to remind her of it every chance it got.

A hand landed on her shoulder and Mae turned her head to the side to see Frypan smiling at her. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah." Mae swallowed and forced herself to look away from the kids, her eyes trailing to down to her boots. Teresa, however, couldn't bring herself to tear her gaze away and her hand tightened around an object in her pocket.

"I feel like you've gotten injured more out here than you did when we escaped the Maze." Aris joked as walked next to Mae.

The girl chuckled as she held up her burnt arm. "You're not wrong." Her hand then flew to her mouth then to her jaw. "I feel like some sort of punchin' bag."

Aris snickered before his voice softened. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Yeah." Mae laughed. "For now."

"Don't say that!" The young boy demanded. "You're gonna be fine!"

"We'll see."

Truth be told, Mae could die any minute now and if she did, she hoped it'd be quick and painless. The group morale was low, everyone too worried for Thomas' well-being, Jorge also seemed to be on edge. The girl eyed him suspiciously, still not completely trusting the man. He told them that they'd owe him and Mae wanted to know what they owe him.