FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Teamwork

           MAE WATCHED HELPLESSLY as girls were being thrown off the cliff, left right and centre. They were nearly there– nearly to the exit– nearly to escaping the shit hole, they called the Maze.

"Sonya!" Mae wailed. "Duck!"

The blonde followed Mae's warning, crouching on to the floor, the Crawler's leg swiping up to where she would be. She landed on her stomach, along with her spear.

Mae turned her head back round to another Crawler. She let out a loud yell as she and Rachel jabbed their spears into the creature. It screeched and it's legs filed out, resulting in another girl flying off the cliff. "Push in, guys! Go!"

The girl around followed Mae's orders as they began to push the Crawler close to the cliff. Mae let out a grunt of frustration as it started to fight back, digging its sharp leg into the stone. The girl winced at the sound it made as she dug her spear deeper into the Crawler.

"C'mon guys! Push harder! We're nearly there!" Harriet yelled.  

"COME ON!" Mae cried.

It didn't take long for the group of girls to push the Crawler off the stone bridge. But it didn't stop there as when Mae peered over the edge, another Crawler began to climb up.

"Fuck!" Frankie exclaimed, holding her long knife up in the air.

"Try knock it down before it gets up here!" Mae ordered and threw a spear down to the Crawler. It landed right in it's eyes and it let out a shriek, falling lifelessly to the bottomless pit.

Mae then took out her own long knife and held it as she turned around, knowing there would be another one sneaking up on them. "Mae! Watch out!"

Before Mae could do anything, a familiar figure blurred in front of her. Her eyes grew wide as the girl in front of her let out a scream and then a strained gasp. The brunette looked down to see the edge of a Crawler's leg sticking out of her friend's body, blood caking the metal. It was Miyoko. She had jumped in front of Mae to save her life.

"MIYOKO!"

Mae's eyes snapped open to see a peaceful sleeping Newt next to her, his arms hugging the cushion he lay on, and light whistles came from his nose when he breathed. The girl sat up and huffed, moving her hair out of her face. Her eyes landed on Jorge's watch to see that she had only been asleep for over an hour.

She closed her eyes, doing her best to try and forget what happened, that's all she was trying to do ever since she got out of the Maze.

As Mae made her to where the window was supposed to be she sat down, her legs dangling off the edge. She watched the sun rise in front of her, feeling her face grow colder, but she couldn't care less. This is where she wanted to be– where she wanted to exist, watching as the sun peaked out from the ground, it's light blending in with the sand.

She leaned against the cement, smiling. Mae soon felt a familiar presence next to her and she didn't have to look to see who it was. Newt's hands were warmly enclosed in his pockets as he swung his feet back and forth.

"For someone who passed out from lack of sleep yesterday, shouldn't you be sleepin'?" Newt joked.

"I should be, but I'm not." The girl smirked, continuing to stare at the sun rise. "It's calming."

"Yeah," Newt breathed. "Kinda reminds me of the Glade."

Mae's lips tugged upwards, knowing exactly what he was talking about. "Where the sun peaks over the walls of the Maze and hits the grass, especially that one part by the West doors; not too cool, not too hot." The girl shut her eyes, visualising that perfect spot. "It was like everything just stopped for one moment."