ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Instinct

MAE WATCHED AS the sun came out, and she smiled. She sat with her legs up to her chest and her arms wrapped around her knees. She turned to Aris to see him fast asleep, light snores coming from him. She then looked at Newt who slept, hugging his pack tightly.

"You're up early." A raspy voice spoke and Mae whipped her head round to see Thomas looking at her tiredly.

"Yeah," Mae sighed. "Didn't get much sleep last night."

After Mae and Newt's conversation, the two had made their way back to camp where Newt fell asleep instantly, but Mae didn't. Instead she lay quietly, staring up at the sky.

Thomas nodded. "We should get going soon anyways." Mae didn't reply, but lay back down on her pack. The boy chewed on his bottom lip. "Hey, how are you doing?"

Mae propped herself on to her elbows. "With what?"

The boy hesitated. "Frankie."

Mae licked her chapped lips and frowned. "With running for our lives, I haven't had too much time to dwell on it."

"I'm sorry." Thomas sympathised, his features softening.

"Yeah," Mae huffed. "So am I."

"I never got to thank you for warning us. If you hadn't, I don't know where we'd be."

"You would've been fine. You're intuitive and quite frankly, you like throwin' yourself into a danger."

Thomas smiled in amusement, but it was gone as fast as it came. "I'm gonna do my best to get us out of here."

Mae turned to the boy to see a small smile on his face. She believed him, but most of all, she trusted him. "I know." Before Thomas could reply, Mae spoke again. "Come on, we should go."

The girl jumped to her feet, but as soon as she did, she felt as if she was going to fall. There was a banging sensation in her head that she couldn't quite shake. Mae pursed her lips, only to taste lingering metallic. She closed her eyes in attempt to forget the migraine that had clouded her head.

Mae then shrugged her jacket on, along with her bag. She walked to Frypan and Aris and crouched between them. She stretched her arms out to the both of them and shook them. "Guys, get up."

The two groggily waved her off, Aris reaching his arm out and pushing her shoulder. The girl fell back on her butt and rolled her eyes. She kicked her friend in the arm before going over to Newt.

She crouched next to the blond and watched for a moment as he slept peacefully. Mae then reached her hand out, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Newt. Hey! We're going."

Newt's eyes peeled open to reveal his chocolate brown eyes that locked with Mae's. "What's going on?" He asked, his voice hoarse.

"We're going. Come on." Mae mumbled, patting him on the shoulder before getting up to stand, but Newt took a hold of her hand. The brunette turned back to him and looked at his hand enveloped hers. She raised her eyebrows in confusion.

"Thanks." He said, gently. "For last night."

Mae smiled warmly. "What are friends for?"