Chapter 3

Day
~
We touch down in the Republic. Eden and I hop off and make our way to the Union Station. We drop off our luggage in the military jeep that has come to escort us. Then he and I start to wander the streets of Batalla. Nothing much has changed since we left. Except of course there are no more war updates on the jumbotrons. Now they project scenes of happiness and local news instead. I read the headlines. Nothing that catches my attention. When Eden had told me about his interview, I had called Tess and told her. Tess had told Eden and me to meet her and two other friends for dinner tonight. I can barely contain my excitement. It feels like forever since we last saw each other. I remember when I first met her. Two street kids, barely able to survive on our own. We had found comfort in each other. From that day on we had done everything together. Until I left. At first we had kept contact, but then, slowly, it had faded. Now, after 10 years, we're going to meet again. Eden starts talking about his job opportunity. I listen, but only with mild curiosity. Something else catches my eye. Or should I say, someone. It's a girl. With long, brown hair tied up in a high ponytail. Something about her seems familiar. From the way she walks to the way she holds herself. I let my eyes linger on her. Eden sees me looking and casts me a smile. As if he knows her. As if he recognizes her. The more I look at her, the more I'm drawn to her. I can't help myself. Then I realize why she seems so familiar. This is the girl in the dream.