Chapter 17

Day

It's so painful, holding June to me when all I want to do is press my lips to hers. And more than anything, I want to end her misery. I want her to stop crying because I know that if she doesn't, I'm going to be crying too. Already tears are pooling in my eyes.

I curse at my stupidity. I knew what I was doing, and I knew that I was just setting myself up to get hurt. I can live with rejection. What I can't live with is the fact that I've hurt her too.

I slowly lift June's chin up to mine, and look her in the eyes. "Hey, it's alright," I say. "Shhh."

June gives me a weak smile and steps back. "I'm sorry. I just-I don't know what happened."

"Let's forget this ever happened, okay? This is between you and me. If you tell Eden, I might just have to kill both of you." I say, trying for a laugh.

It works, June gives me a little chuckle. "That's only if you can catch me first."

"Didn't we already establish this?" I say, faking exasperation. "I'm the faster one."

Her smile grows and my heart swells, despite all the pain. There, at least I've done something right. "Come on," she says. "Let's go."

"Where?" I ask.

"I don't know, let's just wonder around I guess." June shrugs and walks towards the edge of the building. She finds a foothold and starts lowering herself down. I follow and soon both of us are on the ground.

"I think I know where we could go," June says turning to me.

I'm instantly curious. "Where?" I say. I must sound like some excited three year old, but I don't care.

"It's a surprise," June replies smiling. "C'mon." She gently tugs me and even that small touch is enough to send shivers down my spine.

June leads me down a street crowded with people onto a slightly less packed one. This new area is a bit more narrow than the last, and some of the buildings are boarded up. Weeds have begun growing in many places, and the shops aren't as lively as the ones down in Batalla. From the looks of things, not many people live here.

A few things do stand out though. A shop here and there. An abandoned building briefly reappearing in my memory. Then suddenly I know exactly where we are. It'd be hard not to remember where you grew up.

"We're in Lake, yeah?" I ask June.

She looks up at me and nods. "This area's been deserted for a while now."

"Why are we here then?" I ask, confused.

"You'll see," she says and hurries on.