Chapter 8

June

We're almost at the restaurant. My thoughts go back to Day. Home. He had said that Antarctica was his home. I can feel my eyes tear up. Is it true? Is Day's home now Antarctica? Of course that's where he lives now, but isn't home where the heart is? Where is Day's heart? Is it still in the Republic? Or has it moved on to the Antarctic? I find myself wondering what it must be like to live in Antarctica. The land of technology. Must be pretty cool to wake up to numbers floating around you. Then again it must get pretty annoying. We reach the restaurant. "This is it right?" Day asks. "This is where we're supposed to meet Tess?" "Looks like it." Eden replies. It's an old Chinese restaurant. Day reaches for the door, opens it, and holds it for us while we enter. A small bell goes off. Inside, round tables with red tablecloths scatter the floor. A few chairs are off to the side, a place to sit while you're waiting for a table. Tess and Pascao aren't here yet. Eden goes over and sits down. There are three chairs. He takes the one closest to the wall so Day and I are forced to sit next to each other. 'Thanks a lot Eden' I think. I shift uncomfortably in my chair. Day notices but doesn't comment on it. Great. Now what do I do? Tess isn't here. Pascao isn't here. I'm left to make small talk with Day and Eden. What do I say? I've already asked about the Antarctic, and about Eden's interview. And I certainly don't think I'll be able to talk to Day without tearing up. So I just sit there. I find myself scanning the room and analyzing everything out of habit. The restaurant itself is very bright and cheery. Soft music plays throughout. The windows are about 2 feet off the ground. I'd easily be able to jump through one of them. This is silly. I'm making escape routes while I'm waiting in a restaurant. Looks like I'll never lose the soldier part of me. I glance over at Day. He's sitting very quietly, but I can see the expression on his face. It's a confused look. He's probably trying to place this restaurant in his memory. To see if he can remember it. Just then the bell over the door rings. I look up to see Tess and Pascao enter. They're both smiling. Tess reaches me and pulls me into a warm hug. "Happy Birthday June!" She exclaims. Then she comes closer and whispers, "I hope you like your present."