Chapter 6

June
~
He remembers. Day remembers me. I can't believe it. While he was talking to me, I was trying to hold back tears. The pain and grief I saw in his eyes before is no longer there. Now, he looks happy. Even a little curious about me. He looks down at me as he speaks. He looks like an older version of the boy I'd met on the streets. Blonde hair, blue eyes. But he has grown. Day has grown into a handsome, young man. When he grabs my hand in a handshake, I feel the love that once pulsed through us. All the memories that I've tried so hard to forget come pouring back. Day and me. Teenagers fighting against the republic. The night we spent together in my apartment. It's all there. Even after all these years, my brain still remembers every last detail about the boy from the streets. The boy who stole my heart. I hope that he remembers a small part of me too. Just enough to know who I am. "Um...are you having dinner with Tess too?" Day asks. I realize with a start that he's waiting for me to answer. "Uh yea." I manage. "My brother and I, Eden, are on our way right now. Do you want to come with us?" He asks. "Sure, I'd like that." I say with a smile. Day turns around and waits for me to fall into step beside him. I see Eden waiting for us. I know that he recognizes me. I can see it in his eyes. When we get to him, Day starts to introduce me. "Don't worry I've met June." Eden interrupts. "Oh." Day says. "I guess we should go then." Day, Eden and I start heading to the restaurant. It's really happening. After 10 years without seeing Day, I'm going to have dinner with him. I smile. Oh Tess. She knew Day and Eden were coming. And she knew it was my birthday. Tess planned this. Every last bit of it. This my birthday present. And I love it.