Chapter 20

Day

Walking back to Tess' apartment, I'm reminded about why I loved this place. No more the country divided by class, it's actually peaceful and serene. Children laugh and play, some even run up to greet me. I smile down at them. One boy in particular comes forward. He's probably around five years old, with blonde hair and grey eyes. He looks up at me with a smile.

"You saved us," he says. "My parents told me about all you did. You're a hero."

I can't help but smile. I crouch down next to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Anyone can be a hero. You just need to believe that there's good in the world," I say.

His smile grows larger. "Are you going to come back? To the Republic?"

I look up at June and see that she's smiling down at me. Her eyes beam with pride. I sit up a little taller and direct my next words to her. "As long as there's even one person to come back to, I will."

I stand up and ruffle the little boy's hair. "Now go play," I say.

He runs off, turning back one last time to give me a little wave. I wave back, grinning, and turn to June.

"You really inspire them," she says, looking at the boy. She looks up at me. "It's good that they have someone like you. Someone they can look up to."

"As long as they don't break their necks trying to run buildings, I'm good." I laugh.

June nudges me. "Maybe you could give them a few pointers. Turn them into mini Days?"

I grin, even as my body shivers at the small touch. "I could start a school," I say jokingly. "Wing's academy of runners."

She laughs. "Come on." June gives me small tug on my arm. "I'm starving."

"Alright," I say and break free of her grasp. "Race you!"