3

"They're still alive." Toriel whispers. "They are clinging on to the last shreds of their life. I know that humans are determined, but this is just incredible."

I find it impossible. How can they still be alive if whatever has happened to them has literally baked them alive. "Well, they seem pretty burnt out." I mutter.

Toriel just looks at me, conflicting emotions flickering across her face. She turns her attention away from the pun, and to the human. "I think that there is a chance to heal them. Maybe not completely, but, still, it's better than leaving them to die." She hesitates for a second before green mist streams from her fingers an incases the human. Healing magic. "There is some kind of poison in them. Something strong. It might alter their appearance. But I don't think it will get in the way of the healing."

"Do you want me to carry them back?" I ask. She nods assent. Carefully, I wrap them with blue magic and lift them into the air. I try to fight the onslaught of images from the Judgement Hall. Throwing the kid into the walls, leaving crimson smears on them, her echoing screams and my sarcastic comments...

"Come, Sans. We must be swift. We really don't have any time." I obediently follow her out, the human floating between us. Toriel's phones rings. "Hello? Frisk? Oh, of course. Can you stay with Papyrus for a little longer? I must attend to some things. Sans? He's right here, dear. Tell Papyrus that he'll be home soon. Alright, love you, bye." Toriel speeds up a little.

"Can't we just use one of my shortcuts?" I ask, panting.

"Okay then." I lead both of them behind a pillar. One dizzying second later, we're in the entrance to her house. We go down the hall to our right and stop at the last door. Inside is a bed and a small table. I set them down on the bed.

"I need to get all to Alphys. She may know the best way to heal them. And she might have some Determination left from her...experiments."

A couples hours later, Alphys, Toriel, Asgore, Papyrus and I are standing around the bed. After Alphys had informed Toriel that the healing process is going to take several months alone, she asked for monsters that knew advanced healing. That's where Papyrus and Asgore come in. It's still really awkward for the king and queen, but they're pulling it together just this once.

Alphys opens the bag she brought over, and takes out a small black box made of metal and a syringe full of a clear liquid with a bluish tint. "T-Toriel, I need you t-to reveal the soul." Toriel steps forward slightly and raises an arm. Purple ribbons of magic stream from her fingers, going through where the chest should be. It takes ten seconds for the magic to locate the soul, close around it and bring it up so it hovers above the body.

It doesn't look all that bad. It's bigger than Frisk's soul, and a dark grey colour. But it doesn't have a glow at all. "O-oh. Oh dear." Alphys mutters.

She takes a couple of wires connected to the black box and attach them on the soul. Then, after placing it on her hand, she presses a button on the side. A hologram appears, showing a 3D model of the soul and it's stats.

Hp: 0.000001

DT levels: Very low

Soul colour/trait: Unknown.

LV: 1

EXP: 0

Estimated age: Early teens

Gender: Female

Height: 160 cm

Weight: 35 kg

"Right,t-time for the Determination." Alphys sticks the needle into the bottom of the soul a presses down on the plunger. At once, the glow brightens. Some of the stats change too.

Hp: 1

DT levels: Normal

"Hehe. Guess she and I are the same now." I say.

"SANS! PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT." Papyrus says, looking anxious. "YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T JOKE ABOUT IT."

"Right. Let's get to work, everybody." Toriel says.

The spare room at Toriel's sees a hive of activity over the next few days. Several times, however, she's warned me not to tell Frisk about the human. It's kinda hard to do, actually. Especially since her own mother doesn't really talk to her anymore. And the fact that she can't play with Papyrus. Sometimes, I have to go and help, and I can't exactly leave the kid on their own. So I drop them off at Undyne's. If she's got Royal Guard duties, then the kid goes with Mettaton.

I still don't trust the glorified toaster.

One day, Papyrus comes home, bursting with excitement. "IT'S WORKED, BROTHER! TOMORROW WILL BE THE LAST DAY OF THE HEALING. YOU ARE WANTED!"

So, after leaving Frisk with Undyne, we go to the Ruins. When we enter the room, my jaw drops open in shock. In the few days that I haven't been here, they've managed to transform a mess of human body parts into a young girl, only a few years older than Frisk. She has pale, pale skin and long, snowy hair. Her soul floats serenely above her chest. It's an odd colour. Silver. I make a mental note to research what that means.

"The poison left in them affected the pigment cells in the hair, turning it white." Asgore says. "But, other than that, she should be fine."

"Th-they're in a c-c-coma. B-but th-that they should w-wake up in a-about a weeks t-time." Alphys gets out. "N-now, we j-just have t-to wait."

"And I think that it's time to tell Frisk.

"Hey, kid." I say, as she enters the house.

"Why did you call me?"

"Because I wanted to snow if you were okay." She giggles. "Jokes aside, I have something, life changing, to tell you." Frisk watches me eagerly.

"Does it have something to do with the spare room at Mum's house? Is there something inside?"

"Not something, but someone." I correct. "Another human, to be exact. A girl. Toriel says that she's gonna adopt her. So, in other terms, you're getting a new sister." I conclude, my permanent grin widening at the sight of Frisk bouncing up and down, overcome with excitement.

"When can I meet her? What's her name? Is she nice? Does she like monsters?" Frisk babbles, still jumping around like a maniac. I wrap her in my magic and flick my finger lazily, so she hovers a meter or so above the ground.

"Calm down. The human hasn't even woken up from the coma yet. It'll be at least a couple of days until she's stable enough to regain consciousness." Frisk wilts in disappointment, so I flip her upside down, and start spinning her like a top. She erupts in mad giggles. Her jumper slips downs slightly to reveal her back. I only see it for a second, but that's enough to get a clear picture in my head. Scars. Some of them, old and white. Others that look freshly scab bed over. All of them are about two inches long. There's something else. Some thing important. They look clean, deliberate. Like they were put there by someone.

The image of the scars haunt me for the rest of the day