21

My teacup rattles against the saucer as I take a sip. Asgore has been listening to me for the past half hour. He sits in a thoughtful silence as I watch a tiny tendril of magic inch its way along my arm. The places where the magic touch burn, sending a tingle up my spine.

Asgore finally speaks. His voice is deep and loud, demanding attention from everyone he's talking to. It's one of the things I admire about him.

"Michael has had a very...tragic childhood. I do not think that it is wise to let him go free. He has not yet earnt my trust, and besides, as accepting the other monsters are, they will not take kindly to his release." He fixes me with a searching glare. "Perhaps it would be best to send our best therapists to him. But..."

"But what, Asgore?" My voice is scratchy from screaming and crying and I bet my left eye that I look like a train-wreck too.

"Is it possible for you to go down and talk to him yourself? You might be able to make twice the progress as any of my most well-trained therapists."

I consider this for a second. "The truth is, Asgore, I don't think I can face him. I have too many good memories with him. I don't want to associate Michael with that killer. I don't think I can take another session with him. I'm sorry, Asgore." Wow. That sounded lame, even to me.

"No child. I understand. You do not have to speak to him again, if you do not wish." A monster in bulky armour approaches the king. The guard speaks to him quietly, eyes flickering to me and back. Asgore nods once and stands up. "I am sorry, but you will have to leave now. There is something I must do."

I stand up, placing the teacup on the little table in front of me.

"Asgore. What did you do with Michael's crown?"

Asgore is clearly taken aback by this question. He stays quiet long enough for me to think that he won't answer, but he does. "I put it away for safe-keeping. It was just too handsome to destroy."

I nod. "Thanks. Oh, and one more thing. What's the quickest way back to the Riverperson?"

Asgore waves a massive hand, smiling slightly. "Sans will escort you back home."

Wait, what?

Someone touches my shoulder. "Hey kiddo." I swear, I jump nearly to the ceiling. Spinning around, I find myself face-to-face with a certain skeleton.

"Hey Sans." There's been a block of ice between us since the lecture. "Are we going now?"

"Yup."

Together, we walk out of the grey stone castle, caught up in our own thoughts. Though I do notice something different. There's a new tapestry.

It's me, (GOLDEN FRED-) facing Michael with my sword outstretched toward him. My eyes glint silver in the image, consumed by a cold fire.

I blink and turn away from the memories.

"So, kid. You hungry?" I know I should acknowledge his efforts to fix things between us, but at the same time, I can't get his words out of my head.

"Yeah, I guess," I mumble.

"Great. We're going to Grillbys."

"Sure." I've heard of 'Grillbys' a couple of times from Sans, but I've never had the chance to go. Might as well see what the fuss is about then.

Sans drags me behind a huge stone pillar. One dizzying second later, and I'm surrounded by heat and laughter. Opening my eyes, I find myself in a bright bar, with oak tables and plenty of people. Sans walk up to the front, me following, slightly intimidated by all of these new monsters.