32

Wake up, idiot!

What the-

Come on, you've got something to do.

Oh. Oh no.

Prying my eyes open, I let out a small gasp when magic starts to pump itself through my veins, the firey sensation filling my body. I can feel the softness of the blanket draped over me, the steady pounding of my head and my skin that aches and stings. My erratic thoughts condense into one notion.

I need to get out.

Moving should be the hardest part. But when I get used to it, I should be able to go for a fair bit. Besides, healing magic exists so it's not like I won't be fine. As such, I try to move my body. Wriggling my fingers and toes, wincing slightly when the movement causes pain. Tensing the muscles in my legs and arms, slowly loosening my joints under the blanket, gently turning my neck side to side. Little things to get used to moving again.

I carefully roll the quilt off me, something taking a surprising amount of effort. I slowly push myself off the bed, my arms nearly collapsing from the weight. I'm in my room in the castle, and something in me deflates at the mere thought of walking all that way. Nevertheless, I swing my legs over the side, smiling slightly when they contact the carpeted floor.

Using my bedside table as a crutch, I stand, frowning at the shelf that wraps around the room but is just out of reach. Taking a deep breath, I let go of the table.

And then promptly fall over.

Thank the gods for carpet, is my one thought, as I thump noiselessly to the ground. I scramble to stand again, and this time, I manage to keep upright. In a few shaky steps, I've crossed the room. I sling on a thick coat to hide my night clothes, then gently push the door open, wincing as it creaks on its hinges.

I surprise even myself as I tip-toe out of the house. Reaching the main door quickly, I place a hand on the knob when-

"My child? Where are you off to?"

Damn it.

Ten minutes and a meal later, we're seated at the dining table as Toriel and Asgore try to make sense of the words streaming out of my mouth. I keep glancing at the door, nervously waiting (or maybe, hoping) for someone to burst in saying that they've found an unconscious monster in the Ruins.

Toriel looks only a little worried. I squirm a little, slightly uncomfortable from scarfing down the food she just gave me.

"Little one. You are telling us that... there is someone in the Ruins, waiting for us?" I nod wearily.

"And you saw this in your dream?" Again, I nod, fidgeting a little.

"Do you know his name?"

"Gaster."

The king frowns and glances at his wife. "Do you recognise the name, Toriel?"

I glance between them. Gaster told me that no one can properly remember him. Maybe bringing him back changed that.

Toriel's answer is curt and snappy. "No, Asgore, no I have not." Her frown softens when she takes me in. Guess I probably look like a train wreck, but I couldn't care less right now. "Child, you should rest more."

"I'm fine, really," I say, as the entire room warps around me. To prove my point, I stand up suddenly. Too suddenly, I realise as I come crashing down, barely holding on to the chair.