18

I can't sleep.

Not surprising, considering that in a few hours, all hell's going to break loose. Lying in bed, I ponder my options.

I could, 1: Pretend to sleep and let everyone I care about die.

2: Tell someone, which will result in a massacre.

Or 3: Deal with the problem myself.

I feel sweat bead on my forehead. If I try to stop him, then I'd be jeopardising myself. I don't want anyone to be killed, but at the same time, I want to live too.

A tiny noise outside stops me. I freeze completely. The tread is too light to be Toriel's. Another step confirms my worst fears. It's him.

He walks down the corridor, and into the next room. I don't move until I'm absolutely certain that he's gone.

Carefully, slowly, I get up, mindful of the creaking mattress. I pull on a pair of pants and a random hoodie, plus my cloak. Tip-toeing down the hallway, I double check my surroundings. The door leading to the rest of the Underground is open slightly. Before going down, I sneak into the kitchen and grab a cinnamon bun, which I nibble on as I descend. My magic reacts to the food, and I feel it rushing to my fingertips, keeping them warm. The fire burns a little brighter today.

My footsteps echo, making me even more nervous than I already am. I don't need to hurt him. He'll listen to me. Surely.

The frosty air when I step out of the Ruins feels like a slap in the face. I inhale great lungfuls of it, attempting to soothe the fire inside. It doesn't work. The flames consume the cold air and continue to burn.

As I trudge through the snow, my brain starts noticing every single detail of the world around me. Namely the footprints that end abruptly halfway across. I bend to inspect them. They look to be around my size, and definitely made by human-shaped shoes. But why do they just end?

A movement catches my eyes. In the dense forest to my right, I see emerald orbs watching me and then disappearing. Without a second thought, I turn in that direction, heading toward the green.

The forest is dark, and the trees grow almost unnaturally close together. I manoeuvre my way through, trying to find those orbs of light. Another flash of green catches the corner of my eye. I stumble through the woods, using the tiniest fragment of power as a light.

"You're here." The voice makes me jump. I spin to find myself looking at a shadow with green eyes. My hands curl into fists, extinguishing the little light I had.

"Standing in a shadow doesn't make you look intimidating, Michael. Step out and face me," I say, the bravado in my voice sounding extremely forced. But he does what I ask, coming out into the small circle of light. At least the trees are as thick around here. I can move without tripping over a log. "Well. Explain." I fight to keep my voice from quavering.

Michael, to my fury, shrugs, his eyes glued to his shoes. "There's nothing to say. Well, that's a lie." His gaze lifts to my face, not my eyes but my lips. "Willow. I love you. Would you do me the honour of being my soulmate?" Before I can say anything, Michael whips out a small box and opens it, showing me the contents.

A golden ring is nestled in crushed red velvet. It's beautiful and delicately carved, with tiny black stones set into an intricate pattern in the centre.

Every cell in body is screaming not to touch it.

"No," I say, internally wincing at how angry I sound.

Michael doesn't look fazed at all. "You don't understand. If you don't take the ring, they'll kill you along with the monsters." The last word is spat out like poison. I gulp.