33

When Asgore had asked me if I wanted to write any letters, I'd frozen. I didn't know much about my past life, I didn't know if my family or friends were alive. What if they were, and I assumed wrongly?

Which is why I said no, I'm not going to. Frisk isn't writing any letters either.

After he'd asked me, Asgore holed up in his study, refusing to come out. He's writing the humans' letters, although it confuses me why he needs isolation for that.

The entire castle is in complete chaos, with decorating, cooking, cleaning and primping. There's more than enough work for everyone, which is why I find myself the night before Starlight polishing chandeliers with Papyrus, who keeps up a constant chatter the entire time.

"OH! THIS," he shouts, pointing below to a monster made out of fire, "IS ZELT! HE RUNS THE BAKERY IN THE CITY, YOU SHOULD REALLY TRY THE FOOD THERE!" Zelt lowers his flickering head a little.

"We can probably go after Starlight. I'm free most days," I say with a smile. Zelt's flames glow a little brighter. "I've still got a lot to see."

The green, swampy monster sweeping the floors, who introduced herself as Mariana, says, "Well, I hope you have fun. You'll always be welcome into our homes."

My heart swells at these words. "Thank you," I choke out.

We rise early for the first ceremony. The Ruins have a certain chill, and we stand to attention while shivering, Frisk periodically yawning. Asgore comes in, wheeling in a trolley with seven lanterns on it, all in bright colours. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Light Blue and Purple.

It's completely silent as Asgore lights each lantern. He doesn't say a word as takes each one and releases it to the sky. Magic guides the lanterns to the hole, and they disappear as soon as they hit the light.

I don't look anywhere but the colours of the lanterns. Just a glance earlier at the king and queen and their solemn faces had broken my spirit.

All of those humans had names, lives, people they loved. Each one had a personality... a purpose... a destiny...

I wonder if they had tried to hurt anyone here.

As the last one floats away, I feel Toriel move from her position behind us. When I turn to look at her, she's next to Asgore, holding his hand and murmuring to him, tears in both their eyes. Frisk holds onto my hand tightly as she grins up at me widely. I feel myself smiling too.

Forgiveness.

The serene moment is ruined by the buzzing of Toriel's cell phone.

"Oh, goodness! Just a second. Hello?" It's almost funny watching her expression change from one of annoyance to one of shock. Almost, because every bad thing that happens down here normally ends in pain.

"Tori?" Asgore says, placing a tentative hand on her shoulder.

"Yes, yes, we will be over shortly. Tell us if anything happens!" She lowers the phone and looks me dead in the eye. "Your friend is awake. We are to go to the hospital immediately."

I dial in Sans' number into my phone as quickly as my frigid fingers allow me. As it rings, I look through the window on the door. He's awake, looking around with a wide smile on his face. He's okay. But I can't shake the fear that he'll disappear before he sees Sans again.

"Hello?" Sans asks. I nearly collapse in relief.

"Hey! Hi! Hello!, how are you?" 

"Kid?" He sounds uncertain, and honestly, I would too. "Will? Are you okay?"