13

"Come on, punk! You can do better than that," Undyne yells at me, making me go partially deaf. I am starting to regret telling anyone about my 'gifts'.

Of course, as soon as Sans and I had alerted Toriel, she had spread the news to other people, all of them, she assured me, close friends. Undyne wanted to see how I could go with my magic, and happily accepted the task of training me.

So far, all I can do is come up with a few wisps of white dancing on my fingertips. I can't feel the sudden, comforting heat, the rush of adrenaline. I can't come up with the barrage I used to fend off Flowey.

"Undyne, this isn't going anywhere," I say, tired already. I don't know how I have the most magic Alphys has seen in anyone, when coming up with some mist exhausts me. "I just don't feel it at all."

Undyne, who never accepts any word giving up, sets her mouth in a hard line. "We are NOT gonna give up. What made you do it the first time?"

I jog my memory. "Well, I was attacked by a flower. He tried to give me unfriendly friendliness pellets," I state. "I guess I was feeling panicked."

Undyne stares at me, a thoughtful expression on her face. She shoves her hand in her pockets. I can see her fingers moving, though. Then, there's an intense heat on my back, soaking through my hoodie. I spin, to find hundreds of aquamarine spears pointing right at me.

Without thinking, I throw my arms over my head. There's a rush searing heat in my soul, fingertips and behind my eyes. My eyes snap open, and the world becomes sharper, clearer. I can see each, individual droplet of water running down a crevice in the blue walls. I can hear the plop, as they hit the ground. I can feel every soul near me, feel their emotions, their wishes, their dreams.

Sharp words call me back to the present. I snap out of the daze, refocusing back onto the present world. Lowering my hands, I look up at Undyne, who looks pretty shaken. Several aqua spears lie scattered around me, broken apart.

"Yeah. You can definitely do it. You just need to be under the right circumstances." Undyne suddenly grins. "I'm gonna help you control your powers. We all are!" she says, sweeping me up in a rib-cracking hug.

"Thanks, Undyne," I gasp. "But can you please let go, or maybe loosen your grip."

"How was training?" Toriel asks as I enter the living room two hours later. I just shrug at her, too numb to speak. Undyne had made me try ten times more, each time producing a little more mist. Then I had to walk all the way back home because the Riverperson wasn't there today. Trekking through a meter of fresh snow, with each step threatening to swallow me up hadn't helped either. I'm cold and tired and will kill for some pie at the moment.

I walk to the room Frisk and I share, now that Michael is living here, to change into dry clothes. As I go, I lift my fingertips to my face and try to summon the magic. The mist blows directly into my eyes, making them sting like hell. Cursing colourfully under my breath (courtesy of Sans), I rub my eyes, while simultaneously try to stuff my numb fingers into the hoodie sleeves. Talk about having a bad day.

"Hey Toriel. Do you have some pie left over?" I yell into the hallway.

"Yes, my child. I can get some out for you," she yells back.

"Thankyou." Well, at least there's one good thing that's happened, or, at least, going to happen. I step out into the hallway, only to bump into someone. Michael and I stumble backwards into opposite walls. I smack my head, adding to my growing headache.

"Sorry Will," he says. "My fault for not looking where I was going. I shall be more careful next time."

"My fault too, Michael." An awkward silence fills the gap between us, neither of us knowing what to say next.